about defrag and scandisk restarting

chrisjwu2627

hey maybe someone else has had the misfortune of the same problem. Everytime I start defrag it says there is a file name too long or it keeps restarting due to disc write. Now I have Shut everything down except for explorer down and it still does it. Even Safe mode I still get restart due to disc write. I can get a scandisk done if I do it through dos or using norton resue disk. Both of them then I can get a passing test with nothing found bad.
alright anyhelp would be appriciated.
I do have anitvirus Norton spyware removal AD-ADware and nortond firewall.
I am running win 98
Chris

Bigshow1030

running

well, seems like there has to be something running or it wouldn't be telling you that. I don't know if it makes any difference or not but during mine I have to shut down the screen saver and everything......why? beats me but I do! I would make sure that everything is shut down even though you already think it is and do a double check;.......very easy to miss something small :rolleyes:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I have had this missfortune :( although that was a long time ago I had to stop everything in the background also as you've done but sometimes thise would not work. google for 3'rd party defrag tools as I used one in the past but cannot forget what it was called as it's been a long time. As of now I do have a 3'rd party tool for windows xp installed on my system simply because it came with a great little tweak utility that i use called tunexp. Other then that all tweaks are done via a .reg file that I've been slowly adding tweaks too as time progresses although now I've gone off topic ;).