? about deleting index.dat

helpmeplease

I have been trying to empty the index.dat file and make them unhidden. I've been playing around in DOS following instructions I got on a couple of websites.

But I noticed that even after I emptied the index.dat file. When I looked it up (C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat) and clicked on Properties it still showed something like 130K+ bytes. Is that normal?

I also tried to make it unhidden. How do I know if I was successful?

On an unrelated topic, I notice that when I go into my internet Favorites folders, it is automatically alphabetizing the contents of each folder instead of showing the most recent one last. How do correct this?

I am not very computer savvy, so you'll have to speak in layman's terms. :) Thanks!

computerhakk

VIP Member
helpmeplease said:
I have been trying to empty the index.dat file and make them unhidden. I've been playing around in DOS following instructions I got on a couple of websites.

But I noticed that even after I emptied the index.dat file. When I looked it up (C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat) and clicked on Properties it still showed something like 130K+ bytes. Is that normal?

I also tried to make it unhidden. How do I know if I was successful?
This might explain why you might be unsuccessful and will give u a solution.
http://www.acesoft.net/delete_index.dat_files.htm

On an unrelated topic, I notice that when I go into my internet Favorites folders, it is automatically alphabetizing the contents of each folder instead of showing the most recent one last. How do correct this?

I am not very computer savvy, so you'll have to speak in layman's terms. :) Thanks!
right click in the folder>arrange incons by>"modified"
i believe for th emost recently modified/touched/changed one

ceewi1

VIP Member
Yeh, that looks like it would work, but an easier way is to download Crap Cleaner - it will remove the index.dat files, along with other traces youto specify (history, temporary internet files, recently used files, etc...).

helpmeplease

computerhakk said:
right click in the folder>arrange incons by>"modified"
i believe for th emost recently modified/touched/changed one

I don't seem to have that option. This is Windows 98. The only sort option is Sort by Name.

computerhakk

VIP Member
im not sure how you can do it in windows 98. however if you view the icons by detail, it will show you the date modified and what not.