about the Ip

thung_mail

Hi all
I have a problem to understand about the IP address. First of all, i got one 68.70.130.221. for Ip from http://whatismyip.com/. On the other hand, I got one:192.168.1.5,different from the first one. Therefore, could you help me out this trouble. What is difference between 2 of them.Thank you very much
Tuan

randruff

your ip that reads 68.70.130.221 is your external ip address. This means that that ip address is assigned to you by your internet service provider. That ip is the number that the world is able to see. Your other ip, 192.168....is your internal ip address. this ip is assigned by your router to your computer on the LAN. It works like this.....lets say you type in www.google.com and hit enter....your computer sends the request which ends up at googles server and google sends its response back to you. when that information enters your router, your router needs to know where to send it to (which computer on the network). It knows where to send it because every computer on your network has a different internal ip. as a side note, this is why a router acts as a firewall....any packets it received that were not requested by an internal ip addy, it rejects because it does not know where to send them. hope this helps.

randruff

I would highly recommend NOT connecting your computer directly to the cable modem but yes that would then be the only ip that would apply to your computer. even when you are connected to your router, your external ip is still your ip.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
your computer (ip:192.168....)------Internal router/your gateway (192.168....)-External router (68.70.130.221).

Your computer should pickup all it's settings from the router. And you DNS should be configured inside the router as well, not your computer.

So everyone on the internet should see you as 68.70.130.221, however some sites are able to query the local machine through the router and can see you 192.168... address.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
a gateway is generally termed as the last router you pass through when leaving your network to go to another network. Hence the name "gateway". In most home cases it means their dsl router (leaving their home network and going to their ISP's network).