About the term "PIRACY"

2048Megabytes

I was reading about some of the terms used in connection with the illegal copying software and found the below information to be amusing.

Publishers often refer to prohibited copying as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that illegal copying is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them.

If you don't believe that illegal copying is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “prohibited copying” or “unauthorized copying” are available for use instead.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You could also use the words, Scum Bucket - Low Life - Thief - Loser - or on the other side of the fence - Man against the Machine

munkyeetr

One issue I have with "piracy" or "prohibited copying" or whatever you want to call it...is that they (that ominous they that everyone is always talking about) want to compare it to theft. It's not theft. To use that comparison implies that you have taken something from them and that they no longer possess it. That you have "stolen" it from them, which is not the case. Nothing has been stolen. They may also make the inference that you have not physically stolen "something" from them, but that you have deprived them of revenue. I don't agree with that either.

Personally, I would never pay hundreds of dollars for some application; Office for instance. They would never have seen that revenue from me in the first place - EVER -, so by downloading Office I haven't deprived them of revenue and I haven't removed anything from their possession. They have it, and I also have it.

It's a victimless non-crime. It just is.

CPTMuller

I'm neutral on that, I got CS3 for free (legit copies) and I use mostly shareware on my computer, though I do have the random odd song from illegal methods. We have over 100gigs of CDs on our network, all legitimately acquired so I don't feel bad about it. I guess I don't really care about people stealing from the big dogs of software simply because they charge an arm and a leg and it really is too much of a financial strain to pay 300$ for office (when all you need is a text editor) every 2 years. But people who take software from small independent suppliers are pirates and should suffer the consequences.

2048Megabytes

I do think Microsoft charges too much money for their software and operating systems. In my opinion I think a fair price for Windows is around $60 to $70 so I simply bypassed the retail store and shopped on the internet until I got what I wanted for the price I wanted. As for Microsoft Office, there is always the substitute of Open Office.

It is not right to make illegal copies of copyrighted software in my opinion. But I also think labeling illegal copying "pirating" is like stating the theft of a nickel is grand larceny embezzling.

funkysnair

VIP Member
You could also use the words, Scum Bucket - Low Life - Thief - Loser - or on the other side of the fence - Man against the Machine

i agree with the theif part but thats it!!!!

loser? low life? lol....... i have met some people in my time that i could call a looser but for copying stuff?

copying stuff is theft end of

funkysnair

VIP Member
what if the person has bought a legal copy of xp but would prefer a smaller version that has been fiddled with?

would you turn a blind eye as you know they have an original disk that is not getting used but would prefer to use a "light" edition?

G25r8cer

Copying or downloading an OS from a torrent is not illegal! The only thing illegal is if you crack/hack it!

Deviousmind

I was reading about some of the terms used in connection with the illegal copying software and found the below information to be amusing.

Publishers often refer to prohibited copying as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that illegal copying is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them.

If you don't believe that illegal copying is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “prohibited copying” or “unauthorized copying” are available for use instead.

Piracy simply means in the english language robbery or theft, and nowadays illegal copying, the kidnapping and murder was commited by the pirates (who where called that because they commited piracy) and so murder etc is associated with pirates and not the word piracy

Wanderer_42

Over chargeing leads to stealing

Microsoft are charging $250 plus for a copy of office. it is also ripping off people as you can buy a blank Cd for under $1. if they kept office like it is no R and d they could sell it for a fair price and there would be no need to copy or steal it.same go's for windows just look at Vista why not improve windows XP instead of starting a new windows with heaps more bugs and asking far to much for it.

Calibretto

VIP Member
The professional term for "piracy" is copyright infringement. And like g25racer was saying: Programs like BitTorrent aren't illegal. Torrents aren't illegal. It's only illegal if you copy/download copyrighted material. If it's not copyrighted, then it's legal.

Arrrrrrr Matey!

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
You are stealing intellectual property. It's exactly the same as stealing an item from a store.

Not quite. If you "illegally obtain" software, the creators/distributors don't generate the revenue but neither do they lose anything. When you steal from a shop, the shopkeeper/owner has actually lost an item that they paid for the get/stock. I look at it like this - if I actually need a program, or know that it's useful, but can't afford it, I don't consider it a crime to download it. Take Visual Basic 6 for example, it's slightly out-of-date and getting it illegally would probably not be a big deal anyways, and I could never buy it (no $$$) but I need it to practice - to build up my programming skills - I kind of need it but couldn't - and therefore wouldn't - buy it, so in practice Microsoft lost nothing when I downloaded it. Also, I don't consider it a crime to "illegally obtain" out-of-date software/games or apps that aren't supported/sold new anymore, mostly old games (I do download pre-2000 games "illegally") and software (no I did not pay for my copy of Delphi 4 or JBuilder 2, both released before 2000). But those "who can't afford" and then torrent and crack games like Crysis (that can be found at any shop/are available) may as well burn in hell, IMO.

Calibretto

VIP Member
Not quite. If you "illegally obtain" software, the creators/distributors don't generate the revenue but neither do they lose anything. When you steal from a shop, the shopkeeper/owner has actually lost an item that they paid for the get/stock.

That's a very good point. I never thought of it like that.

hpi

banned
To be honest I don't give a flying F*%^ if it's legal or not this is the only thing Il ever "steal" even though ur not really.

These companies that make all these big programs and all are SO rich that I don't care if I get there 2000$ program illegally and not pay a cent for.

If I were to get charged for every pirated thing ive burned/done id have life sentences + 100 million dollar charges once everything is added.

It's nothing like murder or anything, your just getting something that a huge corporation made for free .

Calibretto

VIP Member
Most of the cost of a piece of software is labor. People taking the time to make the program and putting it all together. Not even 5% of the retail price is for the materials.