About to get Video card but need power advice!!

-gunut-

For the $10 more you can get a better card to start off at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...9&Sku=E145-7920&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG

EVGA is superior by a long shot to XFX! One thought on an extender may be the use of a video card protector that prevent supply surges from damaging your card. Something like this would reach out somewhat to add the extra length needed. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814999001

What makes it better? I don't really need a power protector. Just a cheap extender.

PC eye

banned
In a mid tower case the cords from the supply generally reach down just past the PCI-E slots. The instruction booklet will show to plug that in correctly. Plus you will end up with a better brand to start with meaning a win either way. Let us how it works out.

elitehacker

For the $10 more you can get a better card to start off at http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...9&Sku=E145-7920&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG

EVGA is superior by a long shot to XFX! One thought on an extender may be the use of a video card protector that prevent supply surges from damaging your card. Something like this would reach out somewhat to add the extra length needed. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814999001

I beg to differ, my XFX 7900GT is wonderful and their tech support is phenomenal when something goes wrong.

PC eye

banned
I beg to differ, my XFX 7900GT is wonderful and their tech support is phenomenal when something goes wrong.

Some people will differ greatly on brands there. I don't have that problem since I seem to end up with ATI models instead. :p A few will point out the performance and quality differences if you ask.

elitehacker

What Ati card do you have? like I have said many times before at other places, the 7 series thrashes the X1K series in both performance, price and value.

PC eye

banned
What Ati card do you have? like I have said many times before at other places, the 7 series thrashes the X1K series in both performance, price and value.

Comparing ATI tto NVidia is kind of like comparing apples to oranges there. The comparison here is on brands of cards not chip manufacturers. The EVGA model is going to be the better value.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Some people will differ greatly on brands there. I don't have that problem since I seem to end up with ATI models instead. :p A few will point out the performance and quality differences if you ask.

That still didnt explain why you think Evga is so much better than XFX, I,ve used both and never really had a problem with either!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Comparing ATI tto NVidia is kind of like comparing apples to oranges there. The comparison here is on brands of cards not chip manufacturers. The EVGA model is going to be the better value.

If your not comparing nvidia to ATI who are you going to compare them to (Trident)! that make no sense:rolleyes:

PC eye

banned
That still didnt explain why you think Evga is so much better than XFX, I,ve used both and never really had a problem with either!

Quality as well as performance value there. You just happened to be more forunate then some with the XFX. :eek:

If your not comparing nvidia to ATI who are you going to compare them to (Trident)! that make no sense:rolleyes:

The explaination on comparing brands not chip manufacturers was given there. Do you want a HIS Radeon X1950XT or an ATI?

elitehacker

That makes no sense, of course you compare Ati and nvidia, they are the two major chip manufacturers. We compare Chips and manufacturers don't deviate from the reference cards anyway, if they do, they are called fancy names like extreme edition or gamers edition or something. The bottom line is Ati is a rival of Nvidia's and whenever I go to buy a card I take a look at a nvidia card and its ATi counterpart.

PC eye

banned
That makes no sense, of course you compare Ati and nvidia, they are the two major chip manufacturers. We compare Chips and manufacturers don't deviate from the reference cards anyway, if they do, they are called fancy names like extreme edition or gamers edition or something. The bottom line is Ati is a rival of Nvidia's and whenever I go to buy a card I take a look at a nvidia card and its ATi counterpart.

It makes sense when you read the original observation about one brand being better then another on the same model card. Neither an XFX 7900GT or EVGA 7900GT will use ATI drivers. They are both NVidia driven. They are both 7900GTs. Where's the ATI / NVidia comparison there? :rolleyes:

elitehacker

Well, the 7900GT's belong to the lower end of the high end market and ATi will have a card to rival that in that part of the market, I think its the X1950 pro and the X1950XT. When consumers buy a card, they first work out which company to go with, Ati or nvidia, and THEN work out what manufacturer to go with.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The explaination on comparing brands not chip manufacturers was given there. Do you want a HIS Radeon X1950XT or an ATI?

Thats not what you said, this is what you said!

Comparing ATI tto NVidia is kind of like comparing apples to oranges there