About to order first build

So currently I have a laptop and it is starting to get towards the end of it's life. I will still probably use it for school, but I would really enjoy a nice desktop computer for my home.

Majority of it's use will be for graphic editing, app building, school, and for watching media (not really big on the gaming). I have decided loosely on ordering the following parts;

Motherboard:

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper H6 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor:

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

Graphics Card:

MSI GeForce GT 730 N730K-1GD5LP/OC 1GB 64-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card

Power Supply:

Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

RAM:

Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Memory Model 994110E

SSD:

Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 MKNSSDEC240GB 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Disc Drive:

LG Black Blu-ray Disc Drive SATA Model UH12NS30 - OEM

So I still need to pick out a case, I was also told it might be a good idea to grab a fan for the processor? I have basically zero knowledge of building computers so any help would be appreciated. I am just looking to make sure these parts will all work with each other, and see what else might be needed/improved upon to get the build I would like.

Other notes to add: I do want to have a few different displays (up to two, maybeee three but probably not) for this desktop depending on what I am currently using it for.

beers

Staff member
You could probably save some cash and ditch the 730. The iGPU on the processor would be able to fulfill your requirements.

There's also no need for such a high wattage PSU unless you want to get a dedicated card in the future.

The CPU comes with a fan already but they generally get noisyish at load. You could order and see how it goes first, a decent cost-effective upgrade is usually a Hyper 212 EVO, though.

You might also want to investigate Z97 boards for multiplier overclocking as well.

You could probably save some cash and ditch the 730. The iGPU on the processor would be able to fulfill your requirements.

There's also no need for such a high wattage PSU unless you want to get a dedicated card in the future.

The CPU comes with a fan already but they generally get noisyish at load. You could order and see how it goes first, a decent cost-effective upgrade is usually a Hyper 212 EVO, though.

You might also want to investigate Z97 boards for multiplier overclocking as well.

I do plan on upgrading the computer a lot after initial build which is why I was looking at the higher wattage PSU. I think I did the calculations and this build was running at about 300 watts (just under I believe), even with potential upgrades do you think I should still get a lower watt supply?

I probably will take ur advice and end up getting rid of that graphics card, but I could still see myself getting one in the future, I do play computer games but at the moment I have an alienware laptop that suffices for my gaming fix (which I don't do a whole lot of anyways), so when the laptop takes a dump i'd probably throw a graphics card in.

As for z97 are you talking something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130780&cm_re=z97-_-13-130-780-_-Product