About to smash computer!!

tbest08

For close to a month now I have been having sound troubles on my computer. It started off as not having sound on the internet. People tried to give me all sorts of ways to fix it (i appreciate it), but none of them worked. Most recently, someone sent me to the website to download the drivers for my sound card, and after I downloaded them, I have even less sound!!! I now have absolutely NO sound on my computer. No internet, no Limewire, no media player, NOTHING. PLEASE, can ANYONE help me with this? I don't know what to do anymore!!

I have an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP motherboard, with an ADI AD1988B 8 channel onboard sound card.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH IF YOU CAN HELP!!!!

Mez

You might need to get a sound card, you can get a 5.1 for 7.99 =D The integrated graphics on your mobo might have been DOA or fried somehow

tbest08

correct, NO sound now. idk if those drivers were just too old or what...they were from 2007. i'm just really terrible w/ these things. i dont know where to get newer ones.

Mez

well i still think he should just giveup with onboard sound and get a PCI or PCI Express interface sound card =P

sg1

"I have even less sound"

A fried onboard sound card doesn't produce sound.
Actually .... I must beg to differ .... I had an issue with no mic sound on an onboard sound card but speakers worked ok!! so maybe it's not fried but maybe damaged ;)

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Actually .... I must beg to differ .... I had an issue with no mic sound on an onboard sound card but speakers worked ok!! so maybe it's not fried but maybe damaged ;)

Or, maybe the mic chip was "damaged", but the sound one wasn't.

Either way, it does sound as if your onboard sound quit. Seeing as you're having this much trouble, just buy another one.

jdbennet

Actually .... I must beg to differ .... I had an issue with no mic sound on an onboard sound card but speakers worked ok!! so maybe it's not fried but maybe damaged

exactly. i had a laptop where the speakers and line in were dead, but line out still worked, although it was staticky

sg1

I think it's agreed all round that a replacement in the form of a sound card is the way out of this issue, is it really worth spending hours on a problem that can be solved with a £10.00 sound card?

Footnote-I just had a thought..... are we sure it's not the speakers:eek:

Mez

oh yea lol... Try getting some new speakers and see if it works. Your speakers may be dieing or something. But its probably not since they produced less sound after you installed NEW drivers

lhuser

If you tried drivers already, I'd say it's a dead sound card. You've got two choices: Spend on RMA, or spend on Sound Card. I'd say Sound card, since sound quality is better and improves performance, since CPU doesn't process sound outputs as well (Difference is minimal)

sg1

oh yea lol... Try getting some new speakers and see if it works. Your speakers may be dieing or something. But its probably not since they produced less sound after you installed NEW drivers

But it's all part of the diagnostic process bud and must be considered....

process of elimination ;)