about touch (blind) typing

eagleye

Didn't know where to put this so i hope it's the place for it.
I learn touch typing at the moment and I have this problem that I just could't find an answer to anywhere.
The problem is that I don't know when to type on the space bar button with my left thumb and when to do so with my right one.
if there is any system to it or an effective way to combine it in my touch typing please let me know cause no one I asked knew!!!

bomberboysk

Hmm, im not sure and i was forced to take a typing class last year in school even(and didnt even increase speed that much... went from 110 to 130wpm). I just use whatever thumb is more convenient for me, which is usually my right thumb.

kobaj

VIP Member
Ive always been told to use me left thumb in my typing classes, regardless. Something to do with, if you were to lose your right hand, the primary way to type with only one hand doesnt change as much. In all honesty, I dont think it matters.

tremmor

Your right.
Actually the keys are layed out the way they are because a hundred yrs ago with a mech keyboard the key came up and slapped the paper with a letter. its layed out that way because the a fast typer would jam two keys and get stuck. (the layout was to slow ya down).

On the otherhand they had another layout called i THINK! something like dvorak or dvork keypad for fast typist. thats close enough. don't waste your time. ive never ever seen it in a business. The standard works fine.
gets the job done. though the history is interesting. Im 62 now, the keyboard does exist but who uses it i don't know. Its Dvorak

http://images.google.com/images?q=d...esnum=4&ct=title&ei=4IIYSqegKYq4NMe87VQ&gbv=2

Last edited:

eagleye

ok. so for sure it's not like when I type with my right hand I use my right thumb and when I use my left hand I use my left one. i.e when I finish a word with my right one, I use my right thumb so it's flowing, and when I use my left hand at the end of the word I use my left thumb.

can someone certify this theory??? pleassseeee!!!
thanks

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I think i always use my right thumb to hit the space bar (at least I did for this entire sentence). But does it really matter? I mean do what it feels right, I don't think it's going to increase or decrease your wpm.

N3crosis

I only use my left one because I never learned how to type properly. I use two fingers for all of the keys on the right side of the keyboard (my right hand). It doesn't really matter which one you use because in the end all you are doing is hitting the space bar...

eagleye

It does matter. obviously after a while your right thumb will get very very tired and to me it makes sense to use the thumb that belongs to the hand that finished the word ( because it is continues cause if you already use your hand to type why not to use a finger from that hand to finish the word?).. and think about it...

kobaj

VIP Member
It does matter. obviously after a while your right thumb will get very very tired and to me it makes sense to use the thumb that belongs to the hand that finished the word ( because it is continues cause if you already use your hand to type why not to use a finger from that hand to finish the word?).. and think about it...

Your thumb is moving a quarter of an inch, even after typing on end for hours at a time (only using left thumb) I've never gotten tired. Maybe you should get something checked out if you are :p.

Ambitiousness

This is a pretty odd question, not that I'm criticizing you or anything here.

I learned how to type efficiently in 9th grade. But I still don't know numbers well, the top (above the key layout I do), but not the ones on the right if you know what I'm talking about.

Judging from this post I press the space with my left hand. It's pretty much subjective I guess. I just developed this way.

dznutz

i use my dominate hand (right). i tried using my left thumb while typing this and it just feels weird.

TFT

VIP Member
A quote from the experts, so stick with one or the other. Eventually it will become natural to you.

Because you're right-handed, hitting the Space Bar with your right thumbs is just right for you.

It is likely that you were taught that in the typing class. You're not supposed to be using both thumbs for the Space Bar.

For a left-handed, using the thumb of the left hand is suggested by typing tutors, such as the Typing Master typing tutor, which is worth a buy, even if you're a good typist and have good typing skills.

Whatever one decides - using the thumbs of the right hand or the left-hand - he/she should stick with it and not change around.

Gooberman

It's sad that in my computer Apps class the 2nd fastest is 60 WPM and I'm like 120+ WPM Lol. (Started typing in 6th grade at 27 WPM :) )

Mitch?

banned
Your right.
Actually the keys are layed out the way they are because a hundred yrs ago with a mech keyboard the key came up and slapped the paper with a letter. its layed out that way because the a fast typer would jam two keys and get stuck. (the layout was to slow ya down).

On the otherhand they had another layout called i THINK! something like dvorak or dvork keypad for fast typist. thats close enough. don't waste your time. ive never ever seen it in a business. The standard works fine.
gets the job done. though the history is interesting. Im 62 now, the keyboard does exist but who uses it i don't know. Its Dvorak

http://images.google.com/images?q=d...esnum=4&ct=title&ei=4IIYSqegKYq4NMe87VQ&gbv=2

That's all a lie.

Ambitiousness

Because you're right-handed, hitting the Space Bar with your right thumbs is just right for you.

It is likely that you were taught that in the typing class. You're not supposed to be using both thumbs for the Space Bar.

For a left-handed, using the thumb of the left hand is suggested by typing tutors, such as the Typing Master typing tutor, which is worth a buy, even if you're a good typist and have good typing skills.

I disagree with this I am right handed and I press the space bar every time with my the thumb of my left hand.

PohTayToez

Huh, I never thought about it before. When I learned to type I don't think that I was taught any standard about which hand to use for space, but as I am typing now is seems that I hit space with my right thumb when finishing a word with a letter from the right side of the keyboard, and my left thumb when finishing a word with the left side. Anyone else do this?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy

Then I must have a right thumb that's in really good shape,cause it never gets tired even after I type pages :good:.