? about USB charging

demonikal

There's companies charging a lot for those little car USB charger/adapters. And some companies only ask for a few dollars.

My question is the amperage. I saw one adapter rated at 1 amp and one adapter rated at 2.1 amps. Do I have to know the amperage of my mobile phone battery before I get one of these? Or does it not matter? I'm just worried about over-heating the mobile phone.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The amperage won't really matter. Devices only consume as much amperage as they need.

demonikal

The amperage won't really matter. Devices only consume as much amperage as they need.

Okay, thanks. The reason I asked is because I got a USB male to USB female cable (10 foot) for being able to charge my mobile phone from my bed (while texting or whatever) to the nearest wall outlet. My mobile phone charger cord is very short and doesn't give enough length to use the phone unless I'm basically sitting right next to the a/c adapter. And the phone got really really hot within just a couple minutes. So, I haven't used that since.

And then I wanted to get a dual USB car adapter and I was worried that even for just a few bucks it would be a waste of money if I damaged my battery from too much/littler amperage.

Thanks for answering.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I use a USB extender cable both in the car and in my room. The only time my phone gets hot is if I leave the wifi on overnight (as I leave my phone under my pillow).