Absolute Disaster

somewhatsavvy

I pulled my CPU forward, heard a click.

Now, it won't reboot in any mode, and System Recovery won't work (stays on blue screen forever)

Options? Suggestions?

somewhatsavvy

Uhm, I pulled on my CPU to get it out of the little cubby-thing we keep it in...

I thought maybe it was the power cord that got loose, but the lights were still on and stuff.....

massahwahl

VIP Member
Maybe were confused on terms here. Im gathering that you pulled on the entire case of your computer? Or do you mean you had the case open and pulled on the physical CPU?

massahwahl

VIP Member
Ok well lets start with the simple stuff. Did you ensure everything is plugged back in correctly? Make sure no cords are laying behind your tower unplugged?

somewhatsavvy

Of course I checked that. Everything is normal until it gets to the part where Vista is supposed to jump on. Then nothing happens.

When I get the COMPAQ screen, there's a system recovery on f12 and I press it.

A blue screen comes up and stays there for all of eternity.

Is this salvagable? Should I take it to where I bought it? (Best Buy)

massahwahl

VIP Member
lol, NEVER take something to best buy nor buy anything from them.

It sounds like you may have accidentally unplugged your hard drive or otherwise messed up your hard drive.

If you let the system go and not press f12 for recovery do you get any sort of error messages? We would be looking for something that says bootdisc not found or something similar.

When you pulled the tower and heard the sound did it sound like it came from inside the case?

somewhatsavvy

This is what I'm doing and this is what I'm getting

-Turning on computer manually by front On button.
-COMPAQ come up with three options : Boot Menu, Setup, System Recovery
-If I wait for the little flashing blinker and type boot, I get a long list of possible ways to boot up. None of them work sucessfully.

I am either confronted with 1) a black screen on which nothing loads.
or a 2) blue screen on which nothing loads.

massahwahl

VIP Member
When you first turn on the cimputer can you press f8 or another f button to enter into the bios? Were talking as soon as you press the on button.

If not, what options do you get if you type setup?

somewhatsavvy

I did f8 and nothing happened. I typed setup and was brought to the Windows Boot Manager, which is the same thing as when I type boot.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic (found at the bottom of that page) and that leaves me with a very long wait and finally the blue screen that goes nowhere.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I'd say theres about 90% chance your hard drive is either unplugged inside or its fryed.

When you go into those boot menus do you see anywhere where it mentiones your hard drive in terms of a brand name or model number that would tell us that the computer sees it?

How comfortable are you opening up the case and having a look see inside?

somewhatsavvy

OKay, I'm in the Bios i think.

It's like a teal, grey, blue screen and i have main, advanced, power, boot, exit on the top...

what next?

massahwahl

VIP Member
go over and look where it says boot or advanced. Were looking for an indication that your hard drive is showing up.

Look for an option that says 'boot order' and see if your hard drive is listed in the list. You should see your cd drives in this list as well.

somewhatsavvy

UHm, it says

First Drive: WDC WD2500JS-6

And if i go into that it says

CApacity 250 GB
Cylinder 65535
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landing Zone 65534
Sector 255

SMART SUPPORT

NCQ Supported
Transfer Mode UDMA 5
SATA speed 3.0 Gb\s

massahwahl

VIP Member
Hmmm, your hard drive is showing up then. Thats good for now.

Can you open the case and check to see that all wires are plugged in and nothing looks out of the ordinary?