Absolute Restart

Dylanj123

Hey I dont know if this is the wrong area to post this if it is please rediresct me.
My question was my now that I have a laptop of my own my dad wants to totally reboot the whole computer and to start from scratch. It was a prebuilt system so we dont have the discs for windows. I was wondering how you do this? Thanks in advance
Dylan

wasisnt

If you bought it with the OS on it then it should come with a Windows CD, Recovery CD or have a partition on the drive that has the recovery files.

Otherwise you are going to have to buy a copy of Windows (or other OS) and do a clean installation. Or you can leave it as is and just clean it up if its running good.

Motoxrdude

monkeysims said:
you may be better to format and reinstall. it will clean your hdd from files and things you may not know about.
If you format, it will get rid of everything, lol.

Dylanj123

It has got a D drive that is partioned off its about 6GB's big abd always has been. What do i do to redo it all?
Dylan

helmie

Dylanj123 said:
It has got a D drive that is partioned off its about 6GB's big abd always has been. What do i do to redo it all?
Dylan

You can make partitions while you are installing windows, or After windows has been installed using Norton Partition Magic.

Dylanj123

It came with the pation almost full so I'm guessing that HP already did that part for me, but I still dont know how to restart everything?
Dylan

ramdge

If the laptop is an HP it will most likely have a recovery partition.

Turn the laptop off then back on and watch the screen. It will
probably say something like press F10 or F12 for recovery partition.

Press whatever key it asks for and follow the instructions.

Be aware that it will most likely remove EVERYTHING from the
laptop.

Before you try to recover the laptop you might go into XP and
check under Start-Programs and then look for HP Tools etc or
anything with HP and see if you have the option to burn
recovery CD's. If you do and have a CD Burner, it's always
good to burn the CD's before using the recovery partition in
case something is messed up on the recovery partition and
it doesn't work correctly.