Access point, Bridge or other.

glp103

I have a similar network problem as others, which is distance and obstacles. I want to hook up a computer just so my mom can surf the net.

I have a D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router DIR-655 on the first floor. I need to go up to the third floor and through three walls, is this possible with some kind of signal relay device or will an N adapter work?

I have access throughout the house so placement is not a problem for wireless products.
Also if I get some kind of signal relay or extender, can I then stick with a "G" speed device to keep cost down?

Zatharus

VIP Member
First of all, in order to extend a wireless-N signal, you would need other wireless-N gear.

Second, you should be able to cover your entire house with the single wireless-N router. ...unless you have a lot of lead paint on those walls... ;)

Have you tried testing the signals up there yet? Try positioning the router at some mid-point in the house to maximize distribution. If you can't get a signal in all the places you want, you would want to look into setting up a wireless distribution system (WDS).

Third, I don't believe that the DIR-655 can bridge, but I could be wrong. There are other makes/models that do have this ability. I have set something similar up at my folks - one main wireless router connected to the cable modem and an extender on the next floor for better coverage.

glp103

Wow, that seems cool! I remember hearing about internet over household wires a couple of years ago, but it seemed it never took off. Thanks.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Wow, that seems cool! I remember hearing about internet over household wires a couple of years ago, but it seemed it never took off. Thanks.

It works quite well - especially in instances where running cable or getting a wireless signal to a point are cumbersome or impossible.