Access to device connected to sub-network

Conrad007

Access device connected in subnetwork

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and glad to be a member of this great forum.
Computer is one of my hobbies and I'm neither a beginner, nor a very advanced user... until now, but still hopping :).
I will begin right away with my current computer (network) problem: I have a unix statellite receiver (Dreambox 7020Si), which is connected via LAN cable to my laptop. The connection is made using Tftpd32 as DHCP server. The laptop is in the same time connected via WIFI to my wireless router to get internet access. I am trying to reposition the satellite dish (which is in the garden) and for that I would like to be able to access the receiver, using a second laptop, through the WIFI. What should I do to be able to "see" the receiver from the local sub-network? The most comfortable way would be to be able, somehow, to "bridge" the local sub-network and the WIFI connection, to directly access the receiver (unix machine)... Is it possible? If yes, how?

Thank you very much in advance for your advices!

Conrad

Last edited:

Vipernitrox

You need to setup internet bridging on the laptop connected to the satellite dish. And then add a route to the satellite subnet on the computer you're trying the access the satellite from. Questien clear enough? :p

Conrad007

You need to setup internet bridging on the laptop connected to the satellite dish. And then add a route to the satellite subnet on the computer you're trying the access the satellite from. Questien clear enough? :p

You mean I need to setup an internet bridge on the laptop connected to the sat receiver? And what do you mean with "add a route to the [...] subnet"? How can I do that?

Thank you for your answer.

Conrad

Vipernitrox

Yup. Don't know what OS you're running and how the network interface towards the sat receiver is configured. But if it's windows xp or higher with normal network interfaces it's pretty straightforward.

For the second question you can refer to this technet article. You have to make your laptop aware that there's another subnet connected to the laptop you setup the bridge on.

Conrad007

Ok, I'm on XP Pro x86 OS on both laptops. The network connection between the receiver (Linux OS) and the first laptop is configured through the freeware DHCP software Tftpd32 and is functioning pretty good, using a straigth LAN cable. I have also tested it using a crossover cable and configuring the Windows TCP/IP in accordance - it's functioning also without problems. To bridge the LAN and WIFI connections on the first laptop, I choosed both network connections in the manager and used the "bridge" function of the contextual menu (rmb). Should I specify also the router IP address as gateway in the network settings of the Linux receiver, to be able to access it from the second laptop?
Thank you also for the provided link about adding a static route; I will do it as soon as I get home and, in case of problems, will report back.

Best regards,
Conrad

Vipernitrox

That's about it for bridging yes. For a gateway on the network settings of the linux receiver you should pick the ip of the laptop connected to it on the network card that is connected to the receiver. You should be able to set this also in the DHCP server you're using. Although i'm not sure, never worked with tftpd32.