Accessing the dos/cmd prompt

lynx6200

I have Win. 98 on a computer at home, and I want to check my ipconfig and a fe other things, but when i go to run, and type in 'cmd', it tells me "cannont find the file 'cmd' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are avaliable."

I thought, when you install the operating system, the dos/cmd prompt should automaticly be installed. Please let me know how I can resolve this problem.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
im sure on win 98 that you just type winipcfg or something similar into the run box... no need to enter the command prompt.

its been a while since i had to do this so my memory might be failing me lol :D

rufnkz

Start, run, type in "command" should get you to a command prompt then type in ipconfig /all. I believe the file for the command prompt is command.com not cmd. The computer looked for cmd and did not find it. Been a while since i used 98 but I believe that is correct. Not sure if the winipcfg will work in 98. Try it.

dynamitecid99

Yea...uhhhhh...you guys are right but I'll just make it easier for you lynx. Instead of going to run and then typing "cmd" or "command" just type "ipconfig." That's it...then press find or run or whatever. My home computer runs on ME 'cause I just can't stand all the viruses and shit that XP is constantly targeted for.

lynx6200

Okay, thanks guys. I'll check that out. Anyway, is there a seperate softaware or something that needs to be installed to be able to get the command promt, because Ive found on some computers I just cant access it.