Accidentally partitioned thumb drive

jamespaulritter

I was trying to copy some boot software from my laptops "driver and diagnostic" onto my thumb drive and now my 16 GB thumb drive has been reduced to 39 MB due to a partition. I went to disk management and it shows the partition and lists 15 GB as an unallocated side of the partition. I have 8GB of pictures and valuable files on that unreachable side of the partition.

The option to delete the partition is grayed out. I only have access to the 39 MB on one side of the partition. Reformatting doesn't help.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 1150 XP home ed and a 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer. I'm determined not to lose the data or the jump drive. This would be the 3rd pen drive I would have had to trash this year. I thought I was safe this time because I bought a name brand.

kimsland

I just want to be clear here

You have a 16Gig > thumb drive; SanDisk Cruzer; jump drive; pen drive (as you stated)
With "8GB of pictures and valuable files on it"

You then installed "Boot software" on the drive!
And now cannot access those data files
And you are "determined not to lose the data"

And "The option to delete the partition is grayed out"
And "Reformatting doesn't help"

Have I got that right? :confused:

Oh ;) And this is the "3rd pen drive" you "trash this year"
BUT, you still thiought it would be ok to store valuable data on the new "name brand" drive.

?

Wow 8Gig of (non backed up) Pics on the drive, and you then decided to install boot software on it, and its the 3rd drive that has failed THIS YEAR :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't help, as I'm as confused as you :confused:

jamespaulritter

I just want to be clear here

You have a 16Gig > thumb drive; SanDisk Cruzer; jump drive; pen drive (as you stated)
With "8GB of pictures and valuable files on it"

You then installed "Boot software" on the drive!
And now cannot access those data files
And you are "determined not to lose the data"

And "The option to delete the partition is grayed out"
And "Reformatting doesn't help"

Have I got that right? :confused:

Oh ;) And this is the "3rd pen drive" you "trash this year"
BUT, you still thiought it would be ok to store valuable data on the new "name brand" drive.

?

Wow 8Gig of (non backed up) Pics on the drive, and you then decided to install boot software on it, and its the 3rd drive that has failed THIS YEAR :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't help, as I'm as confused as you :confused:

1) I have most of the stuff saved on a dfferent computer but Im worried that there may be stuff on the jump drive that isnt backed up.

2) I didnt think that I was creating a boot drive. I simply thought that I was copying a driver from my driver cd to the jump drive.

3) I used the terms jump, pen and thumb to create key words so that google searchers could fnd this topic.

4) I didnt trash the other 2 jump drives. One was a 6 dollar drive bought on ebay from an overseas seller and it quit working. The other was a tiny jumpdrive that quit and it was to small to worry about fixing.

5) I am not confused. I just dont know how to fix this jumpdrive.

6) You're not funny. ;)