Account Problems

My computer earlier last month wouldnt let me log on. It showed an error message about not being able to find the profile or something like that. The first time it was logging on, it displayed "Preparing your desktop" which was weird and as soon as I logged on i noticed all my icons were missing aswell as my taskbar changed back to win2k style. The second time wouldnt let me log on at all. This was back in april and I resolved it but I noticed "preparing your desktop" again as my account logged in last night so I unplugged the pc in anger. Turned it back on and It was ok. is this going to happen again. its really annoying me and I fear for all my files on the pc Thanks

patrickv

creating a new account will probably cause the same problem. I suggest you format the pc. (NTFS full , not quick).
You might also like to backup your docs because those profile errors barely have solutions

i did a system restore through another account when it didnt let me in the first time and it seems to have sorted the problem. But I didnt get as far as getting into the account this time because I took out the power cable, but it displayed "preparing your desktop" which it wasnt supposed to do.

Last edited: