Acer Aspire ES1-332-C49U - Win10 install issue

h3donyst

Unfortunately I have an Acer Aspire ES1-332-C49U in my possession :confused: and the internal SSD is no longer functioning and cannot be accessed. Since the notebook has an additional HDD SATA slot, I thought I would give a go and try to install new windows on that.
I bought the required cable and first I connected HDD on it, but windows installation did not recognize the drive for some reason, then I connected an SSD and windows installation recognized it and I thought it was a done deal...but no, in the middle of the installation I get "Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file"
I have tried several windows installations (from a stick, tried different USB ports), some would just hang, some would not start at all.
All are WIN10 64x PRO versions.
I have tried:
  • Fiddling around secure boot settings in bios and tried to boot WIN7
  • Tried to boot live versions of OS - no success
  • Different drives
  • Different USB sticks
  • Different USB ports
  • Different WIN10 installations and versions

This is the cable, could this be the issue? I bought it from ebay since it does not come with the notebook.
IMG_20210226_184130.jpg

I know this notebook is a piece of junk, I didn't pay for it, nor anyone ever should :) but it's mine now and I would like to see if I can make it work, boot anything.

Any advice, workarounds?

DavidG

This model has 32GB eMMC primary fixed storage soldered on to the motherboard. It isn't clear from the specs whether you can add more storage and make it the primary drive as you are trying to do. The first thing I would do is look in the BIOS and see if there are any options to disable the onboard eMMC and set the ADATA as primary storage and the 1st boot drive.
You could also join the acer community forum here
They often have enthusiasts which can help

h3donyst

This model has 32GB eMMC primary fixed storage soldered on to the motherboard. It isn't clear from the specs whether you can add more storage and make it the primary drive as you are trying to do. The first thing I would do is look in the BIOS and see if there are any options to disable the onboard eMMC and set the ADATA as primary storage and the 1st boot drive.
You could also join the acer community forum here
They often have enthusiasts which can help
There is, I can set the secondary disk as the boot drive and it does boot, up to a point.
Thanks for the advice, I'll ask on that forum also.

h3donyst

I'd suspect cable based on all the things you've tried.
I was suspecting it all along but I thought just in case it wasn't the cable I'd give it a try. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing for sure if the cable is the culprit.