Acer Aspire No front Lights or Video

TarlsQtr

Hi all.

All of the tech specs are in the attached picture. The only difference is that I am running Windows 10.

My son went downstairs to find the computer (we use it for streaming and as a media player from our server in another room) emitting a high pitch sound. He turned it off immediately until I came downstairs. When turned on, the sound resumed, which appeared to be the fan. I oiled it and it is quieter, but not exactly quiet. In any event, the computer boots up as I can hear the hard drive running but there is no video and the light on the front is not coming on. I tried on another TV and still nothing. I thought video card but there is none, as I guess it has integrated graphics. I also don't know why that would impact the front light.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Please try to make them simple, as I am far from a computer genius. Exchanging hard drives and RAM is about as far as I have gone.

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5

Darren

Staff member
You said you "oiled it". How did you go about doing that? Did you take it apart?

Darren

Staff member
Took the fan out, the sticker off, and put some lubricating oil in the two holes. I have done it with another loud computer fan and it works.

Well point being if you took it apart there's a pretty good chance you missed something when reconnecting everything or damaged something internally so that's it shorting out or not fully booting for some reason.

TarlsQtr

I took out the fan and oiled it in response to the problem. The high pitch sound, no video, and no front light on was the original problem. I wanted to check out the noise as a clue to what the problem could be and discovered it was the fan. I oiled it because I had it cracked open anyway.

Darren

Staff member
I'd suspect the motherboard is dead then. Tried reseating RAM? Disconnect the KB, sometimes if those are shorting out it can cause issue.

For future reference, I'd advise again't greasing fans, replacement fans are usually less than 10 bucks on Ebay and you're liable to get things wet/greasy that shouldn't be. Usually if it's making noise the bearing is on its way out and you'd want to replace it anyway. I used to fix laptops for work and usually a greased fan was a temporary fix at best.