Acer hates its life

speedyink

VIP Member
I'm trying to reinstall the OS on a newer Acer Aspire, but I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

First I tried the Windows 7 RC off a bootable thumbdrive. It would get past the 'windows is loading files' part, and go to a black screen with a cursor, then it would reboot.

Second I tried using a Vista install disc (what was originally on it) and when I select to boot off of the CD is goes through the bootup process as if I was booting off the network (Starts going through all this Atheros stuff).

:confused:

Now, knowing it is owned by my brother, I know it's had a less than stellar life, and looks like soda was spilled on the side where the disc tray is (the disc tray sticks). It seems to be fully functional though, despite being able to get any windows installed on it. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Machin3

Hey, I have an Acer. Try to do that recovery option with ERocovery or something like that. It comes with that Empowering Technologies software. Make sure to back up files just in case.

speedyink

VIP Member
It's Ctrl + F10, right? I tried that and it just brought me to the boot menu.

Well, I took out the HDD and put it in my laptop, where I formatted it and installed the Win 7 RC on it. It booted once, then I shut it down. I put the hard drive back in the Acer, and it goes through the startup screen and everything but bluescreens when the startup screen should show....

I'm starting to think there's little hope for this thing...

Edit: Lmao, I looked in the BIOS and all the settings we're screwed with (apparantly he tried randomly changing things to get his Vista working again :p)

Boots right into Windows 7 now

Thanks anyways!

Last edited: