Acer laptop crashing problems

kenzy71

I am new at this, so forgive me if I make some school boy errors with the post.

We have just purchased an Acer Aspire 5672WLMi laptop before christmas and everything was running fine on it using a wired tiscali broadband connection.

We decided to upgrade to the new wireless broadband offered from sky, they sent us a new netgear wireless router, and swithched the line over.

Now the problem, The wireless conection works fine, can surf the web as normal, but only if the computer is plugged in to the AC power cord.

If the plug (AC) is pulled out OR the computer is powered up on the battery alone (DC), the whole thing freezes up and you can't do anything with it. This I feel defeats the objective of wireless,, can ANYONE please help!!!

bukitimah

Hey, isn't it still under warranty? you call Acer or the wireless guy to technical support. Usually they can solve it over the phone.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'd first make sure it's nothing to do with software... Run the windows recovery, perhaps even reload windows. You've not had it that long, you shouldn't have too much stuff on it :p If you still have problems I'm quite sure it would still be under warranty if you got it for Christmas.

Jon

hi i have an acer aspire laptop also and this happened to me the first time i unplugged my laptop while on the internet.

Does your laptop have the acer e-power management program on it? -(it is preloaded so im pretty sure you will)

if so it is the same as what happened to mine.

so if you do have it do this:

have your laptop on while unplugged

1: click once on the green battery indicator icon in the system tray (bottom right)

a grey menu wil come up and on it it will say:

'wireless LAN' - click on this, then it should work.

The problem is because acer power technology uses performance profiles and the default one for when the laptop is unplugged, (the wordproccessing profile) by default has the wireless LAN disabled to save power.

so by enabling it this will allow you to use the internet on it while not plugged in by ac.

hope this helps you :D

have fun

kenzy71

Thanks Jon, that's most helpful, only the thing is, the computer freezes as soon as I start it up on battery and it starts to look for a connection, and won't let me change it when on AC power,,, can you remember how you got round that?? If not, then I will give them a ring like the others suggest. But thanks anyway.

:) :)

Jon

o yeh i just thought of that but it doesnt let u change it when in ac mode which is quite annoying. so you say it freezes as soon as the computer is on? or when you try to connect to the network?

hope you fix it :)

Last edited:

kenzy71

Yeh, it freezes as soon as I turn the computer on, windows loads up as normal with the desktop page, mouse becomes jumpy as it is still loading up applications then it freezes, so I don't actually get the chance when on battery to change that setting, if you know what I mean. Frustrating really, as I am so close but yet so far. :mad:
Phoned Acer support today and they didn't know what was wrong with it, they have said (like previously suggested) to do a complete system restore, bit of a pain though as have acquired a fair bit of stuff on there already. Can you remember how you got round that Jon??:( :(

Jon

im afraid not as my laptop didnt freeze like yours does :S.

if i was you i would do a backup of everything you want on your laptop then do the system restore as you may have a problem with the registry files or something so it is probably best to do that.

or you could ring up acer and ask for it to be repaired or something?

i think the best thing now would be to do a system restore even though it is quite annoying having to put all your files back on

sorry i cant help anymore :(

hope you get it sorted