Acer Laptop will not boot external usb dvd drive

kaokong

I have a problem, my sister bought an Acer laptop. you know those ulta small laptops with no built in cd/dvd drive. she have a windows error and upon every boot when windows starts, a BSOD will appear and restarts or turns off the computer. I know how to fix that, I plugged in the external dvd/cd drive and in it is a windows xp cd, when I boot the computer I press f12 for boot option menu and select the external dvd drive. The problem is it didn't read the external drive and begins the BSOD windows error like before.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
A little Apsire One? Using mine now, love it :)

Anyway, I guess the first question is are you sure the disk is bootable? If you know it is, are you sure the drive functions 100%.

If you're sure about these, I'd suggest trying the drive on another computer and see if it'll boot. I helped someone a while back with a laptop without an optical drive. While he had an external one, the computer would not boot from his particular drive. It would work fine in Windows, but not boot. However, my external drive worked just fine... I am not 100% sure why mine worked and his didn't, but I assume it's something with the USB to IDE converter's chipset and all...

kaokong

Yes those little Aspire ones.
Strange thing is, the external dvd drive does work with the laptop but it won't boot with it.