Acer laptop / windows 7 not working

Benno1875

Hello. I hope you can help me.

Let me start by telling you that I am a complete fool when it comes to computers!

My computer was running very slowly so I took some advice and ran spybot and deleted everything that it found.

I then deleted pretty much everything out of my start up thing.

Since then, no programmes work. All I can do is turn the computer on and off and run spybot.

After taking some more advice I restored everything from spybot (this didn't help) and tried to run a system restore in windows and the programme wouldn't work and then I tried it following some instructions using dos and again the programme wouldn't work.

I need to access some spreadsheets quickly and would appreciate any advice that enable me to reverse my foolery!

Thanks in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So what exactly happens now when you turn it on and it boots to your desktop? What happens when you try running any programs? What error messages do you get?

Benno1875

Thanks for your reply.

When I boot up, the computer does everything that it normally would. The display has changed a bit and all the icons are unresponsive. Nothing opens when you click or use short cut keys. Only google chrome and spybot open although the computer cannot connect to the internet. No error messages are received. When you click on 'start' the pop up box appears but you cannot open any programmes.

Thanks for your help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you mess with any services? Sounds like you will need to do a system recovery and put it back to factory.

Benno1875

System restore doesn't respond. I can't access it through control panel as no icons respond to mouse clicks and I have tried to start it through dos in safe mode. The system restore window appears but it doesn't function.

Other than run and then restore spybot, I have only deleted everything from start up.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks again for your help.

Okedokey

Do this:

1. download your version (Exactly and consider 32 bit or 64bit - if unsure ask) and burn to a DVD.

while that is downloading,

2. Download and run Magic Jelly Bean
  3. Record your Windows Key on a piece of paper and keep it handy - double check you get it right! (also for office and anything else it lists)
  4. Back up all your files (we're going to do a repair install, but there is always a risk it will fail)
  5. download and save your motherboard drivers to a usb stick - importanly you want chipset and lan drivers. If you're unsure, download and install PC Wizard from my sig and run it. Go to File, Save AS and click ok. Copy the text out of that file and post it here. Before beginning the next step, we will help you download and save the latest drivers. that way you can immediately access the internet. Without it you will need another computer.
  6. Insert the Windows DVD and double click on it.
  7. Click on Run setup.exe
  8. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.
  9. If prompted, uncheck the I want to help make Windows installation better box (unless you would like to), and click on the Go online to get the latest updates for installation option.
  10. Windows 7 will now check online for and install any available installation updates. (see screenshots below)
  11. Check the I accept the license terms box, and click on Next. (see screenshot below)
  12. Click on the Upgrade option
  13. Windows will now check for any compatibility issues. If any are found like in the example below, take care of them first then restart the repair install process over again.
  14. The installation of Windows 7 will now begin. NOTE: During the installation process, your screen may flash and computer will restart a few times.
  15. Type in your Windows 7 product key number
  16. Uncheck the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box unchecked, then click on the Next button. NOTE: You can activate Windows 7 later after you make sure it is running properly. If you chose to automatically activate Windows online when you set up your computer, automatic activation begins trying to activate your copy of Windows three days after you log on for the first time.

Last edited:

Benno1875

I have run factory restore and I receive a message saying 'set up starting services'. Then I receive a message saying windows could not complete the installation. To install windows restart the installation. When I click ok, the same thing happens again. Any ideas? Cheers.

Benno1875

I have run factory restore and I receive a message saying 'set up starting services'. Then I receive a message saying windows could not complete the installation. To install windows restart the installation. When I click ok, the same thing happens again. Any ideas? Cheers.

Okedokey

disable, remove and simply detach ANY hardware that is absolutely not necessary. Difficult on a laptop, but that would mean switching the wifi switch off, disconnecting all usb, and ensuring the BIOS is default.

But honestly, if you are going back to a factory restore and it fails you have bigger issues. Try removing one RAM stick. If that fails replace it with the other one and try again.

Otherwise, you are left with trying my previous instructions. If that doesn't work you need to take it to a shop.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Thanks mate. Will have a go. This is getting complicated for a computing idiot like me!

You're no idiot, trust me, you'll be a mod in a few years on this forum! ;) just joking everyone ;)

But either way, back up your files and obtain your windows key and LAN drivers if you don't already have them.

Yell out if you need help, but the PC wizard report should tell you everything you need to know re the hardware.

Benno1875

Hello again.

As I had already started factory reset which would not complete, I took my computer to PC World where they told me that I would have lost all my files. Only now has my wife told me that she had lots of photos on the computer that she had never backed up! Will there be any way to get the files back after the computer has been repaired?

Okedokey

Yes, attach it to another different computer via a usb caddy. Copy the files over and then format and replace the OS.