Acer Predator AG3620-UR308 VS. HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1315t Desktop PC

mauibrew

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for a pre-built system around the $800 mark. My main intention is to do HD video editing using Sony Vegas and Adobe Pro. I also do work in Photoshop and Lightroom and often will have image and video editing programs open at the same time as well as dreamweaver and web.

I plan to upgrade the video card of whatever I buy afterwards.

I'm currently using a Gateway Laptop NV57H44u with a i5-2430M Intel HD graphics 3000 and 8GB ram and while editing video it can get choppy and I need super smooth video while editing. For the type of video I'm producing I need to know if there are any bumps in my filming and when the video is choppy because of computer slowdown it makes it very difficult to tell.

I use dual monitors as well, one for video editing and one for photo editing/dreamweaver usually.

I've narrowed it down to these two systems mostly because of the pricing. I will be upgrading the ram in either system to 16GB (I'm going to buy the ram aftermarket), and I expect that I will upgrade the video card if necessary (aftermarket).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...ZMS3&coliid=I1XSD63PBTA6D6&tag=vglnk-c1001-20

$799

or

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...op-PC&adid=10427473&affpid=4176827&aoid=35252

$787.49 (price after using a rebate code)

Both have free shipping.

mr.doom

If you do any gaming at all the HP will be much better for you, otherwise (if it's just editing, work and other stuff like that it's for), get the Acer one.

mauibrew

I do a little gaming but mostly just video editing.

I'm leaning towards the HP because of the name brand and build quality as well as the larger power supply and liquid cooling.

The Acer does have the 2GB video card and the extra RAM but I'm not sure if that video card is any good anyway for video editing. If I'm going to upgrade to a higher end video card in either machine then that isn't a selling point.

mr.doom

I do a little gaming but mostly just video editing.

I'm leaning towards the HP because of the name brand and build quality as well as the larger power supply and liquid cooling.

The Acer does have the 2GB video card and the extra RAM but I'm not sure if that video card is any good anyway for video editing. If I'm going to upgrade to a higher end video card in either machine then that isn't a selling point.

You are right. Although before you upgrade the video card, make sure to check your PSU properly. Wattage is not everything.

mauibrew

Cool - thank you for the help. Just wondering now if I should pull the trigger before the current coupon expires on the HP or wait for Black Friday to see if any other deals will come out.

Not sure if there will be many other black friday deals on high end i7 desktops though.