Acer X3400 does not start when I push the ON button

When I start my acer X3400 desktop (about 2 yrs old) it does not boot. Ventilators start spinning, I hard some click as if the HD is starting to spin but that is it. Nothing on the monitor, no bios that is doing something.

It has been like this since a few week but until now I was able to pull the power-cord and try again. Mostly it would start normal. Since yesterday not anymore.

Hope to hear any suggestions.

Last edited:
Well, this is getting strange: I just put in a Ubuntu live cd to see if it would boot from CD. Strange thing: it booted the original harddisk into Windows???

So to sum up: the PC only boots the harddisk if it contains a live-cd?

Pell

:/ try resetting bios to defaults. If that makes no difference try change boot order to HDD then CD/DVD. Good Luck :D

Read the steps I posted here http://www.computerforum.com/209946-tech-guide-diagnosing-pc-will-not-post-start.html try them all or as many as you can and get back to me letting me know how you got on.

I tried your suggestions, basicly remove the bios-battery and put it back, but none of it helped. I now believe the power-supply is faulty. If I remove the external power-plug for a few minutes and re-connect it I have a good chance that the pc boots normal though it is a matter of randomness. It looks like the power-unit is "storing statical electricity" which makes it go wrong. Could this be?

Any hints on how to test this?
Or shall I simply buy a new power-unit?

spirit

Staff member
If you have another system to hand you can try the power supply in that system to make sure it's not faulty. Sounds to me like it's either a motherboard issue or power supply issue. So resetting the CMOS and BIOS didn't work then?