Acer Z5600: Impressions

speedyink

VIP Member
My Parents randomly bought one of these (totally not like them). I haven't really explored everything on it yet as I only was there for a couple hours, and I obviously didn't spend the whole visit on the computer, lol.

I don't know the exact model number, but this one features the wireless keyboard and mouse like in the pic and had a Pentium Dual Core E5300(or similar), 6gb of ram, a GMA 4500MHD, and Win 7 Home premium.

I have to say, I was quite impressed. It's touchscreen with multi-touch and has a 23" 1080P display. In the built in acer touch app thing it actually uses microsoft surface's photo application (shows the splash screen). I didn't have time to play with all the programs in the suite, so who knows what else it uses.

I never thought I'd like a touchscreen desktop, but it's actually pretty nice to just swipe to scroll (a la iphone) though webpages and lists, especially when there is more than one list on the screen.

The real kicker though is that they only paid $799 cdn for this thing :eek:

AZ5610-489x500.jpg

Last edited:

sniperchang

I think it's a good deal. The PC is decent for everyday stuff (certainly plenty of ram), and the touch screen is just plain cool.

speedyink

VIP Member
I think it's a good deal. The PC is decent for everyday stuff (certainly plenty of ram), and the touch screen is just plain cool.

True that. It sure was cool doing the same thing I always saw on the surface ads when they were scewing around with photos :D

sniperchang

You should check out the NUI Group. The're working on open source software that allows you to use webcams to make your own touch screen, and I mean big, multiple-touch, screen. Really cool stuff. If I could get a really good projector, I could make a touch screen table! Have a look at this guy's videos, on their forum: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/2173/. He's using a LLP setup (He's using IR Lasers with a wide beam lense to detect touches, picked up by a webcam).