Ackward/Slow DSL

Cpetrie

I have Verizon DSL with an Actiontec (model GT704-WG) router. My internet connection is behaving very oddly. Some sites simply will not load (Facebook/MySpace/Hotmail/Newegg), and other sites load just fine (Wikipedia/Computer Forum(hence my posting here(yes that was a parentheses inside a parentheses)). Also, some Google searches will go through, and others won't. It begins trying to contact the websites, but the loading bar does not progress. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, power cycled my modem, done all the unplugging and plugging back in/shutting down that is possible with my hardware setup to no avail. Also, I recently forwarded a port for uTorrent; however, I knew what I was doing, and didn't change any other settings, if that's relevant. I appreciate any help I can get.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You forgot to close one of your parentheses.

Do you have a firewall installed? I had problems similar to yours at one point and it turned out to be my firewall choking on the rules I added. Replacing it fixed the problem.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
Check the status of the lights on your modem. Make sure your dsl light isn't flashing when you're having issues and that your internet light is lit properly. Also another thing to try, the sites that you can't visit, try to ping them through the command prompt. Go to start - Run and type CMD then type "Ping www.newegg.com" or something of that nature (one of the sites that doesn't work).