Acquiring IP address error

duutje

i've got a problem. I've got Windows XP SP2. I was gaming today, and all of a sudden my internet drops out. But not just that, my entire network connections doesn't function properly. It says something like "Limited or no connection" (i'm not at my own PC ofcourse, so i don't recall what it says exactly). It says that after it's got a lot of problems with the "acquiring network adress" messages the LAN-connection shows when i just start the PC up. A message i didn't even see ever before this stuff started. If i turn of the ISP protocol (this i do know how to do :p) it does connect to the router, but that's all. All the other PC's have XP as well, and do function properly.

Now i am a complete n00b on networking, and so is everyone in this house. I googled a bit around the internet and all i came across were a LOT of people with the same issue, but they all solved it in terms i really really don't understand. So, could someone please help me in human terms, and explain the solution for me step by step as soon as possible? I really need internet for my study (and my gaming from time to time ;))!! I'm desperate for the solution!!

S_Doherty

What you should check first is if you have an sort of IP address at all. To do this, click START>RUN>CMD>IPCONFIG/ALL. Look for where it says IP address...if there is an address that shows up like 169.x.x.x then this means that your DHCP is having troubles....if you get 0.0.0.0 try removing the checkbox where it says: Notify me if there is limited or no connectivity.....You could also assign a static IP address to see if you can get on this way...Typically if you are behind a router and have made very few changes to the configuration you could give yourself the following:

IP address: 192.168.1.137
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

duutje

none of the above works :(. It's really starting to be frustrating. Every time i need internet i have to arrange it with people and all, making it a long tiresome thing to do for my study. Doesn't anyone know what it could be?

grodii

so you do have an IP address? Did you do what S_Doherty said? what does it say when you go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all?