Activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 activation code?

SLa

Hello! I updated to Windows 10 when my Windows 7 OS stopped working, after me doing some settings so the operating system was broken somehow. So I updated to Windows 10 and when that happened I didn't know where my W7 activation code where. So I didn't get an activated W10.

Today I found my Windows 7 activation code. Or Product key as it is written. And I wonder. How do I get my W10 activated with my W7 activation code. Without deleting any of my files on this computer?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if the windows 7 key will activate the windows 10 since the free update has passed. If you go into system information, what does it say for activation? If you upgraded from 7 then it should have activated for you but if you did a fresh install of 10 then you may be out luck.

SLa

Error 0x8007007B.
I have a Windows 10 Enterprise version. I guess it should really be a Windows 10 Pro, Home or something like that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would have to have a windows 7 enterprise key to activate windows 10 enterprise. You never did answer if you upgraded or did a fresh install of windows 10.

SLa

You would have to have a windows 7 enterprise key to activate windows 10 enterprise. You never did answer if you upgraded or did a fresh install of windows 10.
I did a fresh install of Windows 10.

I looked further on the product key. It is Windows 7 Home Prem(ium?). If I install Windows 10 Home. Will I be able to use my Windows 7 key?
Is it somehow possible to downgrade to Home from Enterprise?

SLa

You will have to reinstall windows 10 home premium fresh. If it doesn't activate(doubt it will) you can try doing the assistive technologies free update to 10 but you have to reinstall windows 7 first.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
Thanks! It worked nicely to install Windows 10 Home again. I don't know if my steps was necessarly but I burned a Windows 10 iso file to a DVD. Took out the ethernet cable from the computer. Booted the DVD when I started the computer. I added the Windows 7 key when installed Windows 10 again and now it says it have been activated with an digital license. So good!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Glad it worked out for you. Nice to know the upgrade is still free doing it that way.

Darren

Staff member
You can definitely still activate Windows 10 with any Windows 7 or 8/8.1 key. Do it literally daily at work. As far as the "free upgrade" goes the only thing MS actually did was remove the prompt built into Windows itself. The "assistive technologies" loophole in essence is the same tool previously built into the OS and you can even use a USB drive made with the Media Creation tool to upgrade any machine to W10.

I had this same issue months back, I went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on release, purchased both online direct through the Microsoft store, when I first installed Windows 10 the Key I had for 8.1 worked perfectly, however about 6 or 8 months back I upgraded my C: drive to a solid state drive and went with a complete clean install of Windows 10 using a USB stick, only to find that I was unable to activate windows using the 8.1 Key I had used previously.

Microsoft sorted it out for me though I called them up via there call centres, explained the situation, they where simply able to verify the purchase of the OS via my Microsoft Account and provided me with a new Key right there and then over the phone, I recall the Person I was speaking to saying that 8.1 Keys no longer worked to install Windows 10, but informed me that the new Key I was given would not expire and I would be able to use it again should I need to reinstall ever again in the future. Windows 10 has been up and running perfectly on my PC ever since never giving me any issues.

I would simply recommend you do the same, get in touch with Microsoft explain the situation and they will provide you with a new Key.