activating windows on another computer

smadge

Is there some sort of way to deactivate windows xp on one harddrive so I can install it on another? When I try to use my valid xp key to activate windows it says I have already installed it on another computer(which isnt even true, its just another harddrive) I guess there is a time limit on this one. 25 days to find a solution or else I have to buy another copy.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
To M$, a hard drive or a motherboard are both enough of "a new computer" to deny installation to another one. If you've not installed that particular copy of XP on any other machine, time to get on the blower to Microsoft and explain things. If they like what they hear they'll issue you a new number.
Tom

PC eye

banned
With the price of full installation with Service Pack 2 included dropping fast pending the summer release of the latest MS OS it's easier to grab a second XP cd to have onhand for the other machine. Then if any repair/reinstallation is needed the disk is right there.

computerhakk

VIP Member
Just talk with Microsoft like said and explain it to them.

As far as XP Discs, if you do decide to obtain another copy, I would personally say to DONT get one with XP2 and spend more. Just get the normal XP one. But its really up to you. Why? Well, XP2 is free online.. there really is no point.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
PC eye said:
Unless you get a recovery disk the full install cds youo would find at this late date will for the most part already have SP2 included unless you come across an older inventory.
You're telling me! I had a devil of a time finding an OEM version of SP1 last month. OEM's of Win95 were easier to find! :mad:
Latest I hear is that Vista release is put off again until at least first quarter 2007, AFAIK... just in time to miss Christmas sales of PC's.
Tom

PC eye

banned
If you have to go with a disk with SP2 included the MS page gives instruction on SP2's removal. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350&product=windowsxpsp2 While many at first had issues with SP2 along with issues seen on systems with the new dual core cpus it does have a number of fixes in it over SP1. The first XP cd I went with lacked SP2 where the auto updater kept sending me to download SP2 along with the long list of other updates when Windows had to be reinstalled a few times. But if you have to reinstall Windows more a couple times in a month period you have to wait to reactivate it again.
To find an older release of XP without SP2 look for vendors that deal with older recycled softwares. There you can often find a few otherwise hard to get softwares like first edition releases of Windows. You may want to check out this vendor with copies of XP with and without SP2 I just came across in the meantime. http://www.best-price.com/procProdu...dows+XP+Home+Edition+Full+Version+for+PC.html