Active Directory

compaqman

Hello All,

We are going to be installing a new server before the end of the year, and I have a few questions...

We are using Active Directory (AD) and I'm wondering what will happen when I put the new server online and set the computers to log on to the newly setup domain.

For example, I want to migrate the user accounts, so that way when they log onto the newly created domain, their personal settings will still be there. I don't want the users to have to do anything. I want to preserve their customized user accounts with the new setup.

Thanks, Jon

linkin

VIP Member
You will need to copy their actual user profile (profile\appdata + all the other folders), log on after migration, log off, and then copy the data back across, and log on.

Geoff

VIP Member
Do you have roaming profiles setup currently? If so all the profile data is stored on the server.

Hello All,

We are going to be installing a new server before the end of the year, and I have a few questions...

We are using Active Directory (AD) and I'm wondering what will happen when I put the new server online and set the computers to log on to the newly setup domain.

For example, I want to migrate the user accounts, so that way when they log onto the newly created domain, their personal settings will still be there. I don't want the users to have to do anything. I want to preserve their customized user accounts with the new setup.

Thanks, Jon

Don't ask me how, as I am only just a 15 year old, but it is pretty easy to migrate. At my work experience in mid July, they migrated over something like 11tb worth of emails spanned over 120 accounts in under a day, looked pretty easy.

This may help.

I have no idea on how to migrate the users themselves, they are in a folder somewhere or as a file I am aware, but once you have migrated them, then you will have to migrate your group policy (gpedit.msc) over as well.

Sorry I can not be of more help :/ I don't do server work until college next year, this goes on what I have taught myself.