Ad-Aware updates & Trojans, anyone confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg J.

VIP Member
For the past 3 months every 2 weeks, I click "check for updates" and download the new definition. I ALWAYS get the SAME exact Trojan. Right now, the Trojan is f****** up my system. I'll post back after having Norton Anti-Virus kill it. Please tell me why Ad-Aware's updates contain the same Trojan every 2 weeks? Is the program downloading from the wrong servers? In the Ad-Aware forums, they say that virus makers have been disguising their Trojans as Ad-Aware updates. Very sneaky, and very sick. I personally want to throw the Trojan programmer off a cliff. :mad: :eek:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In the Ad-Aware forums, they say that virus makers have been disguising their Trojans as Ad-Aware updates.
Wow; that's clever ... can't say ive encountered that before. With Adaware updates, any luck if you download them manually? There might be an MD5 u can match for authenticity :)

Greg J.

VIP Member
New info: People who download pirated or jacked versions of Ad-Aware are prone to the mentioned viruses.....and maybe more mayhem. Sigh, some people use their time to bootleg official programs.....kinda sad. Oh, and yes, I am now running all official.....build 1.05 SE.

Last edited:
Yeah illegal stuff is very dangerous. You never know what's in there. Like my copy of XP Pro, there will always be one or two spywares. That's why I upgraded to Longhorn (exept With my stupid IQ, I frogot that I needed 512MB RAM MIN to run smooth or have a 3683 build)

Greg J.

VIP Member
You've already had some of your threads closed for stupidity by Praetor. Please don't mess up mine. I do NOT use P2P programs and DON'T download illegal software. P2P is just another open gate for viruses and spyware. Oh, your "I'm Back" thread tells of how you now have Longhorn.....you're just using an alpha (or perhaps an early early beta).....but we're not sure if that's an official download from the Microsoft OS program on the Internet. Think before you post . Please, read stickies.

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Amma Wario please stay on topic.

Greg J., this thread is safe.. as long as it stays on topic. And thank you for the trojan information.

Greg J.

VIP Member
Thanks. And as always, keep it cool! :) Ian, or Praetor, I think this thread is pretty useless. Could you please delete it? It looks bad whenever a response is made (i.e. shows on cf.com front page.) Please, put this thread out of it's misery. Thank you.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You've already had some of your threads closed for stupidity by Praetor. Please don't mess up mine.
LOL glad someone noticed :p

It looks bad whenever a response is made (i.e. shows on cf.com front page.) Please, put this thread out of it's misery. Thank you.
Nah its not all that bad ... remember it could be worse ... was reading a computer magazine while waiting for a haircut ... a few spyware removal apps wil introduce as many as 57 new spyware elements upon installation (regardless, thread title 'toned-down' slightly to make it 'nicer') :)

Regarding the actual issue at hand (and my suggestion for manual updates, potentially for the time being)
- http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=55895
- http://www.lavasoft.com (left side, click download)
I had a quick lookie and there doesnt seem to be a MD5 (which is too bad, perhaps that would be a good suggestion)

Status
Not open for further replies.