AD blocking NAS access?

JamesC

[edit] Meant to say NAS, not NAT.

Here's the deal. I got a large workgroup of XP home/pro based machines. In addition, there is a NAS fileshare that everyone has full access to.

This was all working perfectly fine.

I set up an Active Directory server on the network for a couple of specific users to log in to.

For some reason now, any XP pro that try to access the NAS are prompted with the AD login.

It seems like AD took over the NAS somehow. How could this happen?

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
AD, is part of a domain level network which is different than a work group level network, and since users are authenticating against the directory service of AD then it is taking over user policy at that point. AD is a system of control, and that is why it does that. Permissions are pushed down to the client machine based on how you set them up in AD.

JamesC

No no. There are only 2 users using AD (domain login), everyone else is on their own separate workgroup. Everyone else has nothing to do with the AD server; furthermore, the AD should have nothing to do with the NAS.

But people kept getting login prompts when trying to access NAS, which is part of the workgroup, not the AD domain.

Anyway, the problem is fixed now. The users were not getting an AD login box, they were getting the actual login for the AdminCP of the NAS. They were trying to access it using the IP. :p

I know how AD works, which is why this seemed absurd to me.