Add Sata HD to HP Laptop 17t-cn000

lesterj

Hi,

I have an HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17t-cn000. It has an SSD, but I would like to add a 2.5 in SATA drive as a secondary hard drive. I have a secondary drive I was using on my old HP Omen (17-an011dx) that I'd like to just move over to the 17t-cn000.

1. Is it possible to add a 2.5 in SATA HD to the 17t-cn000 model?
(looking inside, it appears to have a place for it, however, there is no caddy or connectors.)

2. Would it work to just remove the entire HD assembly, the HD, caddy, and connectors, from the Omen and use it in the 17t-cn000?

3. If not, what parts do I need to purchase?
(Including the parts' product number if possible)

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Thank you!!
Lester

Darren

Staff member

Googled "17t-cn000 2nd hard drive". First hit.

Looks like you need a caddy and SATA board.
HP part numbers (from video)

813795-001 and 813796-001

lesterj

Thanks Darren,

Unfortunately, it appears the 17-n series from 5 years ago (which this video discusses) is pretty different from the current 17t-cn series I have. The laptop in the video has a removable battery and optical drive, both of which my model does not have. Thanks, though.

Lester

Darren

Staff member
Right you are. Really struggling to find much information on that specific model. Is that the exact model printed on the bottom of the laptop?

I used to repair laptops and usually could track down some info on any model I touched, but not this one. HP uses very specific part numbers and usually you can track down a service manual as well, not finding either for this one.

lesterj

Hi Darren,

The sticker says 17t-cn000 and HP's own support software is telling me that as well. I was able to track down this video from HP on YouTube (
). It shows how to replace just about everything on this model, but doesn't give any part numbers that I can find. Ugh! I agree about the strangeness of the lack of information about this model.

I finally, today, spoke with an HP person on the phone who said the product number for the HDD connector is M75893-001. So, yeah for that. She couldn't find a product number for the Caddy. It's better than nothing which is what their email support gave me after arguing with me about which kind of hard drive I needed to install.

Lester