Added new heatsink/fan today, same temps so far.

clquestor

So I added a new heatsink/fan today as seen in sig. Used an arctic silver thermal compound. After about 20 mins I don't see much of a temp change over the stock AMD cooler. Running at about 35c right now which is where I was with the stock. First of all is this temp ok? Will it get better once the thermal sets? Should I just not worry about it?

It was my first time applying thermal compound, I watched dozens of videos. I just added a tiny bit to CPU after cleaning it, spread it out thin and put my heatsink on. Some videos guys were super crazy about covering the cpu, others guys were just sloppy and said it would spread anyway. I tried to get a thin coating over as much of it as I could...am I worrying too much?

Thanks in advance.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Not slamming your cooler. But its not really that much better then the stock cooler. Temps wont be that much better. With arctic silver the temps should drop a few degrees in a day or two. When you apply it, put a amount about the size of a small grain of rice. Spread it even or let the heatsink spread it. Most let the heatsink spread it. Done it both ways for years and not really seen any difference in temps.

clquestor

The stock cooler had a sort of buzzing/ringing sound to it. Wanted to step it up a bit at least without breaking the bank. Figured Athlon x2 wouldn't really need too much cooling anyway. And this is one is cutting it close sitting right by my RAM so I'm glad I didn't get the cooler master hyper 212 because that looks way too big. Is 35c-40c a safe temp to run at?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its ok, but whats important is your load temps. Yeah, your memory slots are right up against the CPU bracket, just having two.

Christian Darrall

Well you can make sure the fans are clear of wires etc (anything that might prevent hot air escaping)

Try increasing the fan speeds either by using a Fan tool or the BIOS.

Also try reducing the processes the less processes the less work the processor has to do thus reducing the heat....

I found adding a second fan to the CPU fan increses the speed of heat removal but at the cost of sound

PS: yup defo worrying to much.

clquestor

Airflow is pretty good. Speedfan now showing 33 and ASRock tool showing 38.

I may add a fan on side panel to blow directly onto the cpu.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeah a intake side fan would help as a intake. Would be blowing in cool air to the CPU fan. The CPU fan on those are intake fans like the stock cooler. Adding another fan on top of the CPU fan is not a good idea. The only way a two fan set up works is if you have a upright cooler and do the fans in a push/pull setup.

clquestor

Yeah this one certainly is a single fan cooler, not an option to add another. I think I'll try the side intake. I just ran Doom 3 for about 30 min (I know its old but still a pretty good graphics game) and ASRock monitor went to about 40c and speedfan said 34. I think I'm ok so far with this, I know it will take some break in time.

clquestor

120mm front, 80mm rear, heatsink has 92mm and gpu of course. Standard micro atx case so not great airflow but i have cables as organized as possible. Tomorrow I'll grab another 80mm for side intake and I think that will help. I seem to be idling at 33 according to speedfan and that should drop a bit over the next few days.

clquestor

My initial reason for posting was just to calm my worries that I did something wrong applying thermal past for the first time. I'd assume if I did something wrong that after 4 hours of use something would have come up. Any other heatsink I've used had pre applied thermal paste.

Okedokey

The paste will take time to cure. Then your temps are likely to be better.

I usually go back later and losen the cpu cooler and just gentley turn it 15oc on both axis. Just gives it further spread.

What is the ambient temperature?

Cooling is nothing without an ambient temperture. If you live in AC, then its likely to be 22, but otherwise what is your room temp? Then the difference at load is what is most interesting.

Download and run stress test on the cpu and monitor temps.

Turn of qfan or similar in the bios, and cable tie another 120mm fan as a pull fan.

Let us know delta T.

clquestor

Screenshot...

Hey guys this is a screenshot of monitors from Speccy, Speedfan, and the ASRock utility...

...what do I believe???!!!

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 50

Okedokey

Typically around 65-70. I prefer it cooler but wife likes the heat so thats where I stand.

Good.

Also 21oC is not warm. So that should help the cooling if anything. Even server rooms these days are set around that temp.

So your CPU idles 12oC deltaT and between 21-28 deltaT under load. In summer you will see maxed out temps of around 50 - 60oC. Still fine.

But listen, here is the point. Even if your CPU was sitting at 40oC all day every day, it would love it. That imo is a perfect temp. You could add another 15 degrees C to that and it would be ok.

Last edited: