Added RAM now video signal cuts out

wildcard580

I have an older computer and recently one of the 4gb RAM sticks died so I bought 2 new ones cause I figured why not add a little more while I'm at it. I have an ASUS P6X58D premium mobo that has 6 DIMM slots for triple channel memory up to 24gb. Previously I had 3x4gb so now I would be running 4x4gb. After boot it recognizes the memory and runs fine for about 5 minutes before the screen goes black and says "No Signal". Everything is still running and only fix is to reset the computer. Pop the 4th stick out and everything runs fine. GPU is AMD Radeon HD6950. Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

wildcard580

Was going through the manual again and just noticed this line. The RAM is DDR3 1600 so if I understand this correctly then I can only use 3 total. Not sure how I overlooked it the other 10 times I went through it ‍♂️

Attachments

• 20200807_201314_resized.jpg
    20200807_201314_resized.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200815_220555.jpg
    20200815_220555.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 3

Intel_man

VIP Member
Its kinda confusing how the manual says the system won't boot if only one DIMM is installed in A2, B2, or C2... and then they show a four dim (triple channel operation) that shows it using A2... which wont' be triple channel.

What you might have to try is running it in dual channel. Populate A1, A2, B1, B2 and see if that boots.

wildcard580

The way I took it was that if you only use 1 stick it has to be in either A1, B1, or C1. It won't read a single stick in any of the 2 slots. However once all the "1" slots are filled it then reads the "2's". I think my problem though is just that line I highlighted which says only supports 1DIMM per channel at 1600 and since my RAM is all DDR3 1600 I'm topped out at 3 sticks total. Guess it's time to upgrade!

Also, I don't know why it has the male symbol at the end, it was supposed to be the face palm emoji lol

Intel_man

VIP Member
The way I took it was that if you only use 1 stick it has to be in either A1, B1, or C1. It won't read a single stick in any of the 2 slots. However once all the "1" slots are filled it then reads the "2's".
Its not. The manual makes suggestion for single channel operation which is to install it in A1. If you're not running single channel, which in this case, you're not, it recommends you to populate B1 and C1 as well for triple channel configuration.

In your case, with 4 sticks of ram, you should run this in dual channel and not that weird behemoth configuration (A1, B1, C1, A2) which appears to be causing your pain.

Like I suggested before, put your sticks in A1, A2, B1, B2 and see if it boots.

wildcard580

Well swapped the RAM and now running 16gb in 2 channel and everything seems to be working well. Don't know why it wasn't happy with triple channel but at least it's working now.

Intel_man

VIP Member
You couldn't run triple channel because it needs 3 or 6 sticks to make it work.

The manual lied to you telling you that triple channel worked in the way you originally had it.