Addicted to HD space! - I have a problem...

Sacrinyellow5

I’m addicted to hd’s and backing up files. I’m not sure why, but I’m constantly buying hd’s for back up purposes. I seriously have more space than I need, but I have this urge of buying more. I’m really an organization freak when it comes to my computer. I have in depth ways of organizing my music and filing d-loaded materials. In a sense I think I’m almost a digital pack-rat. I wonder if there is a diagnosed disease of this compulsive trait. Is there anyone else who has this problem?

fade2green514

well, ive got a 250gig for storage, and two 80gigs in RAID 0 as my system drive. i keep it fairly organized but im not addicted to it.
try rehab lol.

Sacrinyellow5

I’m serious about this… I calculated that I have a little under a Terabyte of Storage space between 3 computers. (All of it is not listed in my sig.) I have back-up drives for all systems and now I’m thinking about buy another drive to back up the back up’s. I’m seriously ill and I’m actually debating on buying this new drive tonight.

--Maybe I need to cold turkey my hd compulsion.

Last edited:

Rambo

Well, I always organise my files on my computer. I always keep the number of icons on my desktop low, otherwise it looks all messy. I have an urge to never let the amount of system processes rise above 30, otherwise I have to close something or I must kill a system process (seriously... I don't know why I do it, but I just do).

Apart from that, no, I'm not addicted to HDD space. Infact, I could do with some more...

Oh, and I can't have an album in my WMP11 library without having the album cover! :D

iggy101

just about every hard core computer user keeps their files and systems organized to their likings..... just some more that others.

heyman421

banned
i'm the opposite of a pack-rat.

i keep my things organized the best i can, burn actual important files/movies/music to discs, and reformat every month or two to keep spyware/virus/fragmentation/malware/crap from building up

codeman0013

This is so funny i remember when i had like 200mb and i was like man i will never fill that up and now i have about 500+gb and i never use it at all really. I have backups of my important stuff and still have way to much free space i dont think i could use it all if i used this computer for like 3 years straight and never deleted files...

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is so funny i remember when i had like 200mb and i was like man i will never fill that up and now i have about 500+gb and i never use it at all really. I have backups of my important stuff and still have way to much free space i dont think i could use it all if i used this computer for like 3 years straight and never deleted files...

hehe i have just one 120Gb hard drive and its half full (Games):D

Dont realy have that much on my comp though that actualy use much space.

JFHuff

I keep my files organized and all. Not to much backup procedures going on but i do like having space. I hate how my main 160gb drive is a little over half full...i start getting paranoid. :eek:

Sacrinyellow5

On my main computer I have an 80 GB OS HD, which has about 40 GB’s free. I only have programs/games and some digital pictures on the drive. I think I might have a copy of old work files on it as well. Then I have a 250 GB which backs up the 80 GB and also holds music, videos, and some other misc files. I think I have 180 GBS or so free on that. Then that computer has 2 external HD’s as well. One is solely used for work and the other has the rest of my music collection on it. Total that’s another 250 gbs with 150 gb’s free space between the 2 drives. This is just one of my computers. I have another computer with around 140 GB’s of space and one more with 200 GB’s. Now my messed up head thinks I need another drive (external) to back up all of my systems. I don’t really think it’s a terrible idea, but I wonder when the vicious cycle of buying hd’s will stop.

youtin

Ugh. Could you please give me all your extra HD space?(-_-) 'Cause I only have 40gigs in my laptop and it's seriously crammed with data ALL the time. When I have about 4 gigs of free space left, I consider it 'roomy' already. I'm addicted with backups like you too, but I do them with DVD-R discs and delete the data in the HDD to make room for more. I burn all my data on discs - twice (I don't trust only 1 disc too keep my data safe). I really want an external HDD but just don't have the money for it. If I did, I'd probably be like you. One can never have too much space.

mega10169

I try to organize my files as best I can. Since I install and uninstall games and apps daily I go through my registry, Program Files folder and start menu deleting anything that was left behind. I also use have a great program called CCleaner which is like Disk Cleanup but much much better. Also if I come across a folder with over a thousand files that I don't use often I will compress it and delete the folder to make defragmenting easier on my hard drive.

I'll clean my desktop when I hit about 150 files on it. I'll be using most of the icons anyway so it doesn't really bother me.

I need much more space though, I have about 400GB worth of DVDs and CDs burned, and I've ran both my hard drives down to 0 free space more than a few times. The first month I bought my DVD burner I went through 75 DVDs.

Last edited:

Sacrinyellow5

Well since we last spoke, I have added a 250 gb HD onto my network. That slumps me over a Terabyte. I think my HD shrine is complete. May the Gods be happy!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Nevakonaza: your new avatar is so similar to dragons its unreal

Why is this a problem?:D

Dragons has Blue hair doesnt it?....If i had copyed his exact avatar then i could see what the problem is but i havnt.

Sacrinyellow5

Why is this a problem?:D

Dragons has Blue hair doesnt it?....If i had copyed his exact avatar then i could see what the problem is but i havnt.

I dont think it was meant to be a "problem" it was an observation. We'll thats how I took it and thats what I meant by it.

I'm not sure why he even posted that in this thread, but none the less it was just an observation.

Is that a certain artist who does those images?