Adding a hard drive

kzr22

hello, my 250 gb internal drive is running out of space and I may be adding another internal drive soon. I would like to add the unallocated space to my c drive.

I am running windows 7 64 bit and I would like to know what the best program would be to use and exactky how to go about doing it. Thanks

P.S. I already have backups on a external drive and a linux boot cd so i am prepared for the worst!

joh06937

hello, my 250 gb internal drive is running out of space and I may be adding another internal drive soon. I would like to add the unallocated space to my c drive.

I am running windows 7 64 bit and I would like to know what the best program would be to use and exactky how to go about doing it. Thanks

P.S. I already have backups on a external drive and a linux boot cd so i am prepared for the worst!

do you mean the 250 doesn't have a full partition?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your existing drive is almost full there is no way to add more space to it. What size are the partitions on your original drive?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I think he meant to combine the two drives into one drive, like a JBOD. I'm not exactly sure how to set one up though. Is there any reasons why you don't just make the new drive D drive?

kzr22

sry i wasnt more clear i want to buy a new internal and add the space to my c drive because putting stuff on different drives just confuses me :p

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
sry i wasnt more clear i want to buy a new internal and add the space to my c drive because putting stuff on different drives just confuses me :p

You won't be able to do that. Buy the new bigger drive and partition it the way you want. Have at least a 50-75 gb partition(depending on how many programs you have) for the OS and programs and the balance of the drive for your data.

Rit

Or you could do what I did. Buy a new HD and just transfer your personal files. Then reformat your old HD and do a fresh install.

allmondjoy87

different drives is easy as pie homie! its also definitely safer to do what others have suggested... get a bigger hdd, use it for media/backup and keep the os on the old one, or some sort of combination of partitioning of the drives. this way if your windows goes postal you can do a fresh install w/out losing all your important stuff.

anyway what you're trying to do can be done!
install the new drive then...

start->(right click) computer->manage
storage->disk management

then you can right click on your new unused hdd and create a new partition, and use the "extend ntfs system" option. then you should be able to tack it onto the end of your current C drive. this way it will look like you added X gigs to your C drive.

i would just suck it up and work w/ a 2 hdd's and 2 drive letters tho. i think if something goes wrong on one HDD you lose all the data on the other HDD because they are linked if you do it this way? Kinda like doubling your chances of data loss :(

more info on this website

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial133.html#extend

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

kzr22

ohhh ok so i have a 250gb external i use for backups and a 250 gb internal currently im thinkinbg of buying like a 500- 750 drive so im guessing i sould just do a clean wipe and install windows on the bigger drive then use the smaller for extra files like movies and music?