Adding a new CPU, new ram: compatibility question

bradyfan123

My mobo is the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and I wanted to upgrade my current CPU, a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 to a AMD Phenom II X4 or X6.

Do I have to buy a whole new mobo if I wanted upgrade my CPU?
Mobo Link
X6 Link
X4 Link

Do I have to get the same brand ram like my old one or could it be different?

Thanks for any help I would really appreciate it! :)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Not a chance. The Phenom's are AM3 and that board's 939. There's no way it'd work without upgrading. Though if you're still wanting to upgrade RAM, then any brand/speed will work. Just (like the CPU) make sure it's the right standard (IE DDR, not DDR2 or DDR3)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Any AM2+ or AM3 board should do fine, just check out what's listed on Newegg. However, you're also going to have to get new RAM. The new board's going to be either DDR2 or (more than likely) DDR3.

bradyfan123

^ Yup. I'm still debating whether to go for an Intel processor/mobo this time or stick with AMD. It's hard to choose. :(

AMD is cheaper so I might just stick with them. Don't have the money to afford an Intel CPU.

Last edited:

daisymtc

1) Do you want to re-use your RAM? If yes, go for AMD.
2) If you willing to get DDR3 RAM, what is your overall budget? The only CPUs I consider in intel would be core i3 530/ i5 750/ i7 860/ i7 920/ i7 930

bradyfan123

^ I don't think I'm going to reuse my Ram. Just going to do a full upgrade.

I think I'm going to save up for an Intel CPU, most likely an i7.

There's so many types of mobo's out there, are the expensive ones ($200+) necessarily worth it?

2048Megabytes

I would look at the Core i5 750 Quad-Core over the Core i7 Processors. It's $85 cheaper and the Core i5 750 is very powerful.

Analizer

Not worth spending money on 6xs now anyway. Even if it would fit your mobo..

for that price, you can get a nice motherboard with good and compatible RAM+CPU