Adding Currents for SLI

anbo369

Heya all,

My friend is looking to SLI, and we were just wondering how to figure out total current required.

He wants 2x GTX 780, each 780 needs 42A on the +12V Rail.
Because there's two, do we just add them both together, so his PSU will need 84A (84*12=1008W) on the 12V rail?

It doesn't seem right, seems extraordinarily high haha

Thanks for your time!
Andy

Geoff

VIP Member
Heya all,

My friend is looking to SLI, and we were just wondering how to figure out total current required.

He wants 2x GTX 780, each 780 needs 42A on the +12V Rail.
Because there's two, do we just add them both together, so his PSU will need 84A (84*12=1008W) on the 12V rail?

It doesn't seem right, seems extraordinarily high haha

Thanks for your time!
Andy
The 780 doesn't require 42A, it's telling you the requirements for a system which includes the 780 requires 42A, so if you exclude the rest of the components it would be much less than that.

fade2green514

for dual 780's it would be recommended that you put a minimum of 700 watt power supply in there. other than that most of the specs don't matter nowadays. the multi-12v rail psu's that gave multiple 12v rails a bad reputation are pretty much done away with.

for instance i ran my dual 780ti's on this baby for awhile
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RBR1000-M-1000-Watt-Certified-compatible/dp/B003J89V0A

before i bought an evga 1000 p2. with its ridiculous 10 year warranty.

anbo369

Ah Awesome!
Thanks for the replies guys!

My friend has an Antec HCG900W
Which has 850W on the 12V rail (~70A)
By the sounds of things he'll be well and truly fine.

I don't get how they can have a 10 year warranty though.. that's ridiculous haha They'd be spewin if they put out a faulty batch that broke after 6 years lol

Thanks heaps lads!

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't get how they can have a 10 year warranty though.. that's ridiculous haha They'd be spewin if they put out a faulty batch that broke after 6 years lol

Thanks heaps lads!
The catch is usually that it has to be the original owner, many upgrade within 10 years and sell it to someone else.