adjusting screen brightness doesn't stay

gib65

Hello,

I purchased a new computer the other day and it is running Windows 10 Home. One thing that's annoying me is that when I adjust the screen brightness through Control Panel it keeps getting undone. I don't want to squint when I look at my screen. I keep having to increase the brightness all the time. How can I set the brightness and have it stick? Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you have the latest video driver. What does it say in device manager under display adapters? Also right click on the actual display adapter and click on properties and then click on driver tab and tell me what the driver date is.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well the nvidia driver is way out of date but not the intel one. Since this is a laptop you should have a keyboard shortcut to increase/decrease brightness.

gib65

I updated both drivers and did a reboot. Then I maximized the brightness. We'll see if it sticks.

If not, I'll post here again.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you see the keyboard shortcuts for brightness? Could be f4 and f5 or f11 and f12. And you usually have to press either the fn keys with the f keys to do it.

gib65

Yes, I see those. FN + up/down arrow.

Unfortunately, undating the drivers didn't help.

I guess this can be chocked up to another feature Microsoft doesn't want you to have control over.

Admittedly, using the keyboard shortcuts is a LOT easier.

gib65

I appear to be on performance.

"Turn auto brightness off?"

You mean adaptive brightness? Tried that already.

ANNR

had you performed an OS reinstall? I had similar problem few years back. The screen brightness will just decrease on it's own. Turnout to be a bad os install. I reinstalled windows and the problem went away.