administrator rights stolen: no longer have administrator rights

hi everybody!

i hope everone is doing alright.

i just had a serious situation happen to our network. the original computer that was set up as the administrator computer is NO LONGER the administrator computer!!!!!
a roomate on the same network has talked about doing identity theft. the landlord looked at the suspects computer and saw that there was an administrator folder there filled with files.
the original admin computer "admin folder" is COMPLETELY empty.

1. how do i block a bridge or however this happened
2. is there any way to prevent the suspect from having access to the entire network and ALL of its privelages, as well as the ability to look into everyone's computer on the network as if it was there own files; and still allow them to have internet connection (it hasn't been proven that the suspect has done anything at the moment, and they pay toward the internet, so the landlord is obligated to ALLOW the suspect to continue to have internet connection)

please, help, is there anyone who can give me some advice in this matter.

sincerely,
no longer have administrator rights:eek:

C4C

You simply don't turn on your homegroup sharing or allow network computers to connect....

Not much you can do but create a better firewall..

"there are no other people in the homegroup"

C4C,
how're you doing my friend?:cool:

i examined it very carefully and looked in the homegroup section on the "original admin's computer" (a favor for the landlord, to understand the technical problem and potential legal hazards of a future crime that could be committed:mad: the suspect was NOT given the right to steal the administrative rights and privelages of our network, was not told to do so, is not allowed to do this; and the suspect did not inform the landlord (the "original admin's computer") that they have stolen the administrative rights [a fact that only later by pure chance was noticed]). nor did the landlord authorize [at ANY time] the right or ability to access the files on other computers in our network -- it is not a family on the network: it is acquaintances that are sharing the same network in a house.

and this is what i found particularly strange: in the homegroup section on the "original admin's computer", this is the message that i got when i clicked on it --
"there are no other people in the homegroup":eek:

this all sounds VERY fishy to me i am an expert at computers, but only a beginner at the Network Administrator part, so i am unable to figure out how to fix this myself/block/disable the suspects access to either
the network or to all of the files on all the computers in our network.

C4C quote
"You simply don't turn on your homegroup sharing":confused:

if homegroup sharing was "enabled", it would show up in the homegroup section, right? i mean it wouldn't be invisible and something was seen on your computer even though this bridge still has total access over your computer and all the other computers in the network, in addition to preventing you from performing ANY "administrative functions".

in fact, because the "original admin's computer" now LACKS administrative rights, NO programs can be installed, and all security programs (except for one that was installed prior to the theft of the administrative rights) have been disabled, nor can any other security programs be run or completed (even one that was installed prior to this incident!!! the landlord did NOT request the suspect/roomate to do this, does not want it to happen, and does not allow this take place).

even though "there are no other people in the homegroup", how do you turn this off in w7?

C4C quote
"or allow network computers to connect"

how do you block other network computers from connecting?:confused:
[the landlord ("original admin's computer") NO longer has administrative rights -- how do you do this? or do i have to fix it fist to regain admin rights, AND THEN block the suspect?]

White Hat

What was the date of the files on the "suspects" computer? Don't know if you'll be able to do this but can you do a system restore back to a date before the date of the files on the suspects computer? You might have to regain admin access to do a system restore.

Last edited:
"original admin's computer"

CorruptHawkeyez,
glad to make your acquaintance

when the landlord looked at the suspects computer and saw the admin folder full of files, they didn't look at the date. the suspect was forced to delete the admin folder. however, as soon as the landlord left, since they didn't know what they were doing (IT), the suspect simply could have restored these deleted files back from the recycle bin. since then, the "original admin's computer" still does not have the admin rights that its supposed to have.

you mean a sys restore on "original admin's computer" or the suspects computer?:confused:
never thought about that. interesting idea.

White Hat

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Your problem makes absolutely no sense. I don't understand a single thing about your setup.

And you do realize that ALL PC's have an administrator account on them, right?

you mean a sys restore on "original admin's computer" or the suspects computer?:confused:
never thought about that. interesting idea.

White Hat

A system restore on the original admin's computer. Now if this has been a while, the system restore might not work. It does seem a little fishy to me too, I didn't think an account folder could be deleted. Where was the 'admin' folder located which was found on the 'suspect' computer?

Last edited: