Adobe Acrobat OCR capability vs. scanner OCR capability, and editing in Acrobat vs. MSWord...

Michael Zwingli

Hello, all.

I am planning to create editable text files from old essays and academic papers which I only have hard (paper) copies of. By means of this, I may rework the originals, changing grammar and adding additional material. I think that I can achieve this by either: (1) scanning with an OCR capable scanner and then exporting the resulting text file to MSWord as a .docx, (2) scanning with a non-OCR capable scanner and opening the resulting image .pdf in Adobe Acrobat pro, and using the Acrobat OCR capability to render the image .pdf searchable and then editing in Acrobat itself, or (3) scanning with a non-OCR capable scanner and opening the resulting image .pdf in Adobe Acrobat pro, and using the Acrobat OCR capability to render the image .pdf searchable and then exporting the resulting searchable .pdf (which I think is essentially a text document, although I might be wrong about that) to a .docx in MSWord, and doing the editing in Word. I am wondering which of these three is the better course of action in terms of (A) the accuracy/effectiveness of the respective OCR capabilities, and (B) the ease of editing the documents in both Acrobat and Word, respectively. Is the Acrobat OCR more powerful and accurate than that of the OCR software found in most scanners, producing fewer errors and a truer rendering of the original, or alternately, is the reverse true? Is editing of a searchable/text document more easy and intuitive in Acrobat than in Word, or is the reverse of that true? Though I have used MSWord frequently in the past, I am utterly inexperienced with Acrobat and with Adobe products in general, and with the use of scanners (I have posted in the Accessories Forum regarding recommendations for my purchase of a scanner). Any guidance that you all can give me with respect to this will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mike