Advice appreciated

I'm being bought this computer for Xmas, however it has integrated graphics which I suspect is bad, what's the best way I can upgrade this pc, other than throw it away, is it any good?
Power supply: 500w
Motherboard:gigabytes f2a68hm-hd2
Cpu: amd fm2a8 7650k apu quad core 3.3ghz
He'd: 1tb7200rpm
Memory 16GBP ddr3 1600kHz
Graphics: ati 8570d (integrated I think)

I'd like to play games on it if possible with decent graphics.

Thank you in advance for your input

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All you would need to do is add a video card to it. What exact model of power supply do you have?

All you would need to do is add a video card to it. What exact model of power supply do you have?
It just says on the specs: 500 watt with power cable.

Case is vantage black gaming case with 120mm silent fans.

I'm completely new to this so sorry if that was pointless info for you, what graphics card would you reccomend?

beers

Staff member
You'll have to check the sticker on the PSU to verify which one it is specifically.

The integrated GPU on that APU isn't completely horrendous at least.

If it hasn't been bought yet I might try to convince the person to change the configuration though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
what graphics card would you reccomend?
All depends on the games you want to play. Give us a list and we can recommend something. But yeah, you'll need to get the model number of the power supply in case you have one that won't support a decent card.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, looks like you would want a gtx 960 or r9 270x or better.

Well, a gaming pc shouldn't be using an APU as a processor. But it will still work.

You'll have to check the sticker on the PSU to verify which one it is specifically.

The integrated GPU on that APU isn't completely horrendous at least.

If it hasn't been bought yet I might try to convince the person to change the configuration though.
I haunt got the heart to tell them it's wrong =)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you end up playing higher end games, the cpu will just bottleneck the video card. On an APU processor, you also have video on the same processor die.

Yes, you need a pciexpress video card.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much.

Really can't upgrade the cpu on the fm2 builds because fm2 cpu's are actually APU's. You can to a point but fm2 builds are basically for people that don't need much processing or video power.

HackSpoon

Pretty much.

Really can't upgrade the cpu on the fm2 builds because fm2 cpu's are actually APU's. You can to a point but fm2 builds are basically for people that don't need much processing or video power.

Isn't a APU a graphics card, and a processor mixed into the chip?