Advice in buying First Laptop for Graphics

Ethan3.14159

It doesnt have as much battery life, but that doesnt matter to some people. I've never been in a situation where I have to be away from an outlet for more than a couple hours, and I'm almost never in my dorm. A mac might be reliable, but it outlasts it's hardware capabilities and, as far as I know, can't be upgraded (probably the reason I never would consider one). My gf is already tired of her 2 year old mac pro because its gotten to the point where it cant handle newer things, it even takes a good while to load gimp (considering the size of the program). And she also is a computer science person and regularly cleans the computer etc. That toshiba will be able to handle the new macromedia flash and photoshops and such fine, and a toshiba is a very reliable computer that'll feel nice n strong and durable in your hands unlike the $300 hp sitting next to it in best buy.

As to the power thing, I've never come across a laptop that can take either (though I've never checked on macs which might be a selling point here). All one's I've had have said they need a 110 input on the power adapter. Not only that, the philippines might have a different shape plug (i have no idea here). I've been to countries that do have different plug shapes though.
Well, every laptop can. Look at the power adapter and it will say 110-240v. Sure there are different shaped plugs, but you can buy adapters for different plugs for about $5 US.

Your worrying about 10 pounds? Wow, you must be weak as hell. I'm not that big on IPS screens so I doubt I would notice a difference. For the lower resolution, I do agree, that was a setback when I saw it, and quite frankly the only thing I like about the Macbook Pro (Besides OS X).

tlarkin

VIP Member
Your worrying about 10 pounds? Wow, you must be weak as hell. I'm not that big on IPS screens so I doubt I would notice a difference. For the lower resolution, I do agree, that was a setback when I saw it, and quite frankly the only thing I like about the Macbook Pro (Besides OS X).

Well, when you are like me and have to haul around a laptop every day, a binder of software, 3 external hard drives, a tool set, extra cables, power adapter and so forth, every pound counts. My back pack probably weighs 40lbs, and I carry it every day to work.

I think that mobility is key feature of a laptop, which is why I like mine slim and light weight.

IPS technology does make a huge difference in color saturation, which is why Mac screens look so pretty. It is also, super freaking expensive.

So, again, until you can show a PC laptop spec for spec that is cheaper than an Apple with all the same parts and features you cannot say they are over priced.

For the record, 10lbs for a laptop is absurd. That thing must be huge and clunky.

First off, just want to apologize for calling you weak, kind of useless in this arguement. I can see where you are coming from, but I also carry around a 30 pound backpack, and to push it to 40 would be worth it for me to save 1,100$. I honestly don't know of any laptops with a IPS screen. But, if you have to pay an extra 800 dollars more to have a little bit better colors, than that is overpriced to me.

tlarkin

VIP Member
First off, just want to apologize for calling you weak, kind of useless in this arguement. I can see where you are coming from, but I also carry around a 30 pound backpack, and to push it to 40 would be worth it for me to save 1,100$. I honestly don't know of any laptops with a IPS screen. But, if you have to pay an extra 800 dollars more to have a little bit better colors, than that is overpriced to me.

There are other features besides the screen that make them not comparable. There is also a reason why PC manufacturers use cheaper parts, so they can lower the cost. There is not that much mark up in hardware sales. Plus all Macbook Pros have aluminum bodies, where that Asus is plastic.

There are many other factors to consider with pricing, and also total cost of ownership.

MacBook

banned
Your worrying about 10 pounds? Wow, you must be weak as hell.
You may say that now, but having to carry that with you in a briefcase, backpack, or just buy itself will get tiring after a few hours. When I need to carry two MacBook's in my briefcase it's already pushing the limit where it starts to be a burden to carry around all the time.

Well honestly, I wanted to get a macbook, but I'm not going to pay 2,500 dollars for a dual core, dual gpus(that arnt that good).

What job do you have where you have to carry around two laptops? If you find it really such a burden get a netbook. Also, I can see where your dilemma would come in, it's hot and humid as hell in Florida, I'm not going back their anytime soon lol.

ingridients

hi everyone thanks for all the comments..
I was hesitant but I think I might get a Mac, I was hoping someone could tell me where it's best to buy a Mac in New York?
B&H, Apple store or other?
Is it really difficult to find compatible programs? and what Can and Can't I upgrade with their laptops?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Are you a student? If so buy from Apple direct, you will get a 10% student discount, free printer and free iPod shuffle. There is no such thing as compatible applications for the most part. What programs are you wanting to run? There is almost always either a Mac version, Mac alternative, or the ability to run the Windows version on the Mac via CrossOver API.

ingridients

i see, i just thought it could be a concern since I'm so used to windows and I can download almost anything from the internet like small trial programs, for example a color match tool.. i never noticed if i could download them on a mac.. anyway someone also told me that could be difficult, and someone also told me that they bought a mac but it didnt come with iWork and other things.. What programs does it come with when you buy it?

I'm not a student anymore.. too bad I'd like a free printer! haha..so with that said should i buy at B&H instead?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=13223&N=4294542554+4294948825
it says it offers free Parallels?? will i need that?

ingridients

another thing, should i wait till they upgrade the macbook pros to the new intel processors? the arrival date of the one going here has moved to July.. is it wiser to wait for the new one? cause i read that apple products have this tendency to have problems on the first release of upgrades

ingridients

hope I get some answers for this... my dad just bought the macbook pro 15", and its coming here next week. I'm annoyed cause i emailed him the specs for the core 2 duo cause that's what was still on the website last week, i think he bought it online april 12 or 13 I'm not sure, then i just learned today that they upgraded to the icore processors last april 13!! i don't know if he got it in time with the upgrade...if he didn't did i just waste money on that!? can i have an apple reseller here (Philippines) replace that (bought from US) with the new model? :confused::confused:

tlarkin

VIP Member
hope I get some answers for this... my dad just bought the macbook pro 15", and its coming here next week. I'm annoyed cause i emailed him the specs for the core 2 duo cause that's what was still on the website last week, i think he bought it online april 12 or 13 I'm not sure, then i just learned today that they upgraded to the icore processors last april 13!! i don't know if he got it in time with the upgrade...if he didn't did i just waste money on that!? can i have an apple reseller here (Philippines) replace that (bought from US) with the new model? :confused::confused:

You may be able to exchange it, if it is still brand new for the upgraded model. Contact Apple's customer service.

ingridients

i tried looking for support here, but i saw on the site that i can only call Apple if i'm from the US.. do you think that maybe I can exchange it here?