Advice needed for some new parts

SuperDuperMe

Hey all, i need some advice on parts, i might be getting some money next month and i want to make my rig better, im looking at spending about £200, preferably on the dot. Anyway i definately need a new processor, and mobo and probably ram, what else should i be looking at getting or can use the parts in my current comp (in sig)?

I have a 3870 x2 on the way so im looking for a mobo that supports crossfire (one so i can get another in future should the need arise, or 2 so i can get serious ATI power when i can afford it via 2 more modern gpu's :p)

So providing i can use the rest of the parts in my sig, im looking for mobo, ram, and cpu, im in the Uk and the rig will be used for gaming

(*The psu will be upgraded when i decide to crossfire or need more juice)
(** I dont mind AMD or intel)

if you plan on eventually adding more GPUs i would suggest just getting rid of the one you are getting and get atleast a more modern one, it seems to me that a more modern one would work even better then two of those, its really dated imo anyway

SuperDuperMe

In regards to GPU's this is what i was trying to get at, i am going to use my 3870 x2 (when it arrives) should i need more power and not be able to afford a modern alternative i can crossfire it as theyre cheap now

On the other hand if i can afford it i will obviously buy more modern cards but for the time being the 3870 x2 will surfice.

Troncoso

VIP Member
So you purchased a 3870 x 2???? No lie, based on the prices I'm seeing for the card, you have a lot better options. Seriously, any modern GPU will blow that out of the water. I'm not trying to say you made a bad decision. If you got a good deal on it, that's awesome. Otherwise there are better cost effective options.

SuperDuperMe

I got it for £70 with 12 months warranty and first class signed for delivery.

Im not really up there with knowledge of gpu's so basically i jsut went through everything i could afford on hwcompare and that card kept coming out on top.

I realise for an extra £30-40 i could have gotten something vastly superior, but £70 was way over budget for me anyway.

(its the 1gb edition by the way)