Advice needed on new PC spec

Frazersnowdon

Hi guys,

I'm getting a PC which will be used for basic Word processing and spreadsheets etc... but also for 3D gaming, and I want it to be as "future-proof" as possible.

AMD Athlon FX-55
Windows XP home
1Gb memory
200Gb Hard drive
2 x 128Mb Nvidia 6600GT (SLi)
17" TFT
Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Altec Lansing VS2120 2.0 speakers (I'm not a fan of too many speakers...!)

Thanx

FS

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Windows XP home
Id go for XP Pro :)

AMD Athlon FX-55
2 x 128Mb Nvidia 6600GT (SLi)
Excellent call on the CPU but a bit short on the video system (only by relatviely). In my estimation i think you'd be better off dropping the CPU down a notch (or a few if budget requires it) and jacking the video to say 2x6800GT

1. To better help pick parts, can you lemme know the budget?
2. For a mobo I'd reccomend the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum .... the DFI LanParty4 is a nice board too but unless you think you can outscope the overclocking headroom on the Neo4 (which is impressive enough) than you should probably go for the extended featureset of the MSI board

Frazersnowdon

Guys,

Budget in UK pounds is around £1500, to include everything. That's gonna be a bit difficult to convert because everything is priced differently UK:US. But it rates out at around $2500.

I went for a high spec CPU and lower spec memory and Video card because CPUs can be harder to upgrade in the future. Alternative is the Athlon 64 4000 plus 2 x 6800GTs, but that would put me over budget.

How about 2 x 6800GTs, but with a Athlon 64 3800 CPU?

Suggestions would be welcome!

Thanx boys,

FS

mgoldb2

VIP Member
reciprokal said:
^also that xp home doesn't come with progs like word, excel, powerpoint etc...

xp pro dont come with word, excel, powerpoint etc so I dont see your point.

reciprokal

^it doesn't?..............cuz my firend is using xp pro and he had all those progz, so i thought they do come with the pro verison..

my bad.