Advice needed

mazinya

Im building this PC for a friend of mine. He doesnt play games so an inboard card would be enough.
He needs the PC for internet usage, MS office, SPSS, movies and music so doesnt need to invest lots of money. basically he wants a medicore PC.

here is what i compiled:

Athlon 64 6400+ (Socket AM2) X2 DualCore

M3A78-EMH HDMI AM2+, 780G, DDR2 1066, VGA

2x1GB Corsair XMS2 TwinX CL5

320GB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA II

DVD±RW GH22NP20 x22 Black IDE

‏Thermaltake Swing VB6000BWS‎

My questions:

1. Do you think this build is enough for hes needs?

2. Im not sure the mobo i chose has an onboard graphic card. Does it?

3. The case i chose has a PSU inside already that would be enough for these specs? or do i need to buy a seperate PSU?

thanks in advance

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
For his needs slower RAM would be fine, I think you could save by going for DDR2-800/667 since it's not going to impact the performance.

mazinya

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
^ Yes, that's still way more than enough for his needs. Even generic-brand DDR2-533 would suffice, so I would just go for the cheapest you can find. But the above is a quality brand, that's a good choice as well.

As for the PSU it should be enough, but I'm not an expert at this area so I'll let someone else answer that...

daisymtc

That set-up should work fine for him. However, I do suggest go for intel...

DVD-burner: Get SATA
PSU: That PSU with low efficiency, I suggest go for 80Plus PSU. With on-board VGA, 400W PSU will enough. In case he would upgrade later, get a 500W PSU

Last edited:

mazinya

May i know why intel? The AMD 6400 is cheaper.

Also, i doubt he will upgrade later. in case he wont upgrade, does the PSU i chose 430W is enough?

Thank you

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
May i know why intel? The AMD 6400 is cheaper.
Intel CPUs currently offers best performance, but for your friend's needs AMD would be just fine, if someone can find a better deal on an intel CPU (+mobo), you may want to reconsider.

mazinya

Would you say that a ‏Core 2 Duo E7200 (1066Mhz, s775, 3MB‎)
is better than the ‏Athlon 64 6400+ (Socket AM2) X2 DualCore‎?

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
At stock speeds, performance of those two would probably be very similar, the AMD would probably win because of its significantly higher clockspeed but the E7200 consumes less power and runs cooler, and also OCs a lot better. Performance-wise, knowing what the computer will be used for, it doesn't really matter which one you get. I'd just get the cheaper.

mazinya

You convinced me on the intel one.
Now, that means i need a different mobo. Can you please recommend me on a mobo that would be at the same level as the M3A78-EMH for the AMD i chose before?

If its possible that it will have a good integrated graphic card that would be great, but not a mandatory

btw, the mobo has a network card on it right?

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
Even though he is not gaming...I would still get some kind of graphics card. Simple things like watching a movie or a music video can put stress on the onboard graphics. If you can round up about an extra $50....I think it would be worth it.

EVGA GeForce 8600 GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130292

The motherboard has a built in network LAN connection....so the answer is yes, you can just plug your internet cable in and it will work. It has a 10/100/1000Mbps connection on it.

hackapelite is correct, you could get cheaper RAM and save some money. These are just my recommendations for ya....just something to consider:D

mazinya

Thanks a lot. Can you also recommend me on a mobo? i was thinking about the
P5K-VM (s775 1333Mhz, Intel G33, DDRII 800, VGA, PCI-E)

resurgir

help about your new pc

Hi there, I think so, you have the correct parts for build your pc, my advice; try or test once you have ready "U" pc, but repeat I don't think so you need another video card, having your issue for don't spend more money
Carlos a friend:)

daisymtc

However, if you prepare to use onboard VGA, 780G chipset is a lot better than what so ever intel onboard VGA can provide.
So, using 6400 x2 could win the overall than having E7200 if you not overclock.