Advice Needed

Tarkus

I will be replacing my home computer in the next couple of months. Right now I’m trying to do my homework so I can make some informed decisions. Its primary use will be the internet, downloading music, burning CDs, gaming, and to a lesser extent, word processing and other miscellaneous uses. I’m not a hardcore gamer. But, I do enjoy flight simulators. For instance, I have the MS Combat Flight Simulator 3. But, unfortunately my current setup is obsolete and doesn’t have the graphics or whatever it takes to operate the game. I would like to keep the budget within $1200. Can you give some guidance on the best CPU, graphics card, etc. within this budget and any other suggestions you can think of? Also, outside of upgrading the memory, I have no experience in building a computer. What are the pros and cons of building it yourself as opposed to having it done? Is building it yourself something recommended for a novice?

Current system:

CPU: Intel Celeron ~700MHz
MOBO: I have no idea
GPU: Don’t know that either, but it sucks
HD: About 11 GB
RAM: 319 MB

Thanks in advance

nffc10

Firstly, building a computer yourself is 99 times out of 100 cheaper. I think that you will find building a computer yourself is fairly easy, most of the hardware you buy comes with instalation manuals nowdays anyway. okay, because you will probably be doing more multi tasking than gaming i would get an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (around $230), in terms of graphics, if all your going to be playing is MSFS3, i would get a Sapphire x1900gt (around $150) or a GeForce7900gt (around $280). They will run that flight simulator game with no problem and let you surf the net etc. with ease.

chuckn0rris

If you really DON'T want to build it yourself, just buy the parts, pay your local computer store $30 and they will build it for you.