Advice on a gaming rig

Veraxus5

Advice

I have limited experience in building computers and I am looking to set myself up with a new gaming rig. I probably won't be building it this time, but I need some advice. I've done about as much research as I could on how processors function, the different types of RAM, different video cards, the differences between CPU and GPU, clock speeds, the works, and while I can recite most of which I have learned, it's somewhat meaningless to me as I have no way of truly understanding it due to my lack of proficiency with computers.

I haven't set a budget on this yet seeing as I'm looking to field my options before I limit myself financially. What specs should I be searching for as I look into different gaming rigs? I'm not looking to break the bank, only to find something that has a good video card, a compatible processor with DDR3 RAM and a decent motherboard. Basically a rig that will be able to run recent games at a high quality. I myself care little for graphical quality (as I usually turn it all the way down regardless of my specs) but I am looking for performance no matter what my specs are. So please, any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

daisymtc

I think you should set the budget first. IMO, a decent spec would be around $850 - 1000

core i5 750 ($195) + P55 mobo ($120-170)
or
Phenom II x4 955 ($160) + AMD 870 mobo ($100) or AMD 890FX ($180) if you want crossfire
RAM - 2 x 2GB DDR3 ($100)
HDD - $70
DVD burner - $20
Video card - 5830/ GTX 460 ($200 - 230)
case - $60 - 100
PSU - 600W $70 or 750W ($100) if you want dual video card
OS - $100

Veraxus5

From all that I have read on the differences between i3, i7, and i5 processors i5 seems to be the last one I would want. Tell me if I'm wrong, but compared to the i7 it seems like its usage is far more mainstream than suited specifically to gaming needs.

wellhellothere

Your contradicting yourself a bit. Your saying you want a decent spec rig to run games on high quality, but your not actually bothered if you cant?

Let me know which one your most bothered about - performance or saving money, and i'll help out.

(sorry if i sound like an arse!)

Veraxus5

To be honest with you money isn't an issue. But I'm not going to spend $2000 on a computer that is totally unnecessary. Anything between $500 and $1000 seems to be appropriate, but like I said this is solely for gaming, nothing else. So I need people to trim the fat when taking the computer specs into consideration. I have a work computer, so any extremities are obsolete for me.

Binkstir

I probably won't be building it this time,

If not this time, then when? My advide would be to go ahead and jump in, It's not as hard as you think and you will be glad you did when it's over. Once you build your own, you'll never buy one again.

P.S. I contract built computers for a driving sim company. There were nights when I built 4 from scratch, loaded the software and boxed them up for delivery the next morning. You can do it.

Binkstir

Veraxus5

To be quite honest with you, I've had a few built before and compared to the ones I can just buy, it's not worth the effort. Like I said, I'm not going to drop tons of cash on this, so it's totally unnecessary to build anything when I could buy at the same quality that I am looking for. And if worst comes to worst I can buy lower than expected and upgrade.

Veraxus5

Ok so tell me what you think of this.

Gateway
Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor
8GB DDR3 memory
1TB SATA hard drive
ATI Radeon 5770 graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium 62-bit

Since I don't care for crossfire I'll probably strip the ATI graphics card (unless anyone gives me a reason to do otherwise) and get a GTX 460. I'm looking at about 900 on all of this. Good, bad, ugly?