Advice on cheap tablet that runs full version Word

Ramack

I'm looking for a cheap tablet that runs Microsoft word, as 90% of what I wish to do on the tablet is write on my patio, couch, etc. Ideally something light, nothing fancy or powerful, and around $100, thus a tablet over laptop. I was looking at a rca cambio for $100 at Walmart/Amazon, but they come with the Office ap that has the limited version of word, and I need the full version, so I will have to put in another $60-70 for office. If I add that to the cost then I might as well look for a $200 tablet. Is there a $100 tablet that has the full version of Word or should I just go with the cambio?
After researching I can't find anything that has the full version, but I figure there has to be something out there.

Thanks!

Darren

Staff member
You're going to need to find something that's running Windows beacuse AFAIK you can't get the true full version on Android.

Ramack

Awesome thanks so much for the quick reply guess I'll have to shell out some money for a surface :/

_Pete_

Whatever you buy you will end up paying a silly price for Microsoft Office on top of the cost of the device. Word is not available on it's own. You might be better off looking at Open Office which is a free open GNU application that will run on Windows or Linux and will save and read *.doc and *.docx files amongst others.

Ramack

I went with a refurbished surface rt for around $130 I used to have a refurbished one a few years back until my little girl confiscated it it lasted about 3 years before finally dying. I never loved it but it does come with the full version of windows and I have a logitech Bluetooth keyboard that should work with it. It was always slow but hopefully this time around I'll enjoy it more. I appreciate everyone's advice thanks.

strollin

I would have advised against the Surface RT since it's not a true Windows OS. It can only run apps downloaded from the Windows App Store. Hope you are happy with it.

You can find Windows tablets right around that $100 price point but they will most likely only come with 32GB of storage and the OS will consume a significant portion of that. Personally, I wouldn't want a Windows tablet with less than 64G of storage.

Some tablets come with the Home and Student version of Office which includes the full version of Word. If not, you will need to add the cost of Office to your budget.

You can save some money by going with an 8" screen size, you'll need to be the judge as to whether or not that's a good size for your writing.